Sub Level Max?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haywood, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

I was just reading a post from back in June. Vince said that he maxes out the level on the sub and then makes adjustments via the receiver. Does any one else use this method? Currently I have my sub(Sony SA-M40)at the halfway point, the owners manual said that the level of the sub should never be maxed. Which method is best?
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

2. Haywood

I've done some searching and I can't find another post that really touches on this. Any ideas would help.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

3. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

I have the Sony and also do this. My receiver's sub-out sends anything below 90hz to the sub, all speakers set to small and all bass output to sub. Works great.

4. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

My mistake; just reread your post and I have the crossover maxed, not the volume. Volume sits at '2' and I stll have to turn it down sometimes! [​IMG]

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Haywood,
    90% of the time when the manual says that- it assumes you will be feeding max level from your receiver- and are advising not running the sub FULL VOLUME.
    Keep in mind that the vast majority of owners of this particular product are NOT going out of the way to calibrate with test tones or get proper level matching- rather they are probably just turning it up until they get a bunch of bass (weeeeeee!)
    So Sony is saing "Hey dummy, don't turn this thing all the way up as it will probably distort or limit"- again on the assumption that you are turning "all the way up" while feeding maximum signal.
    As I've said before, many (if not most) of the inputs on these subs don't BOOST the incoming signal- even at max- they just allow the signal to come in unmoderated. So, placing the knob at max would mean full level you're sending from the preamp stage would reach the sub's amp.
    There are some products which are NOT built as I've described- that the knob can BOOST signal slightly at maximum. I would recommend trying it at full and regualted from the PREamp (receiver)- and if seems like something isn't right- then reduce the knob a little (a Friend of mine has a small old JBL powered sub- and his does seemingly boost, so instead of full [about 2:00 on the dial), he runs his a little bit less [about 12:00 or 1:00 on the dial) and it sounds great.
    So, experiment- but know that the wording in the manual might not always apply to the way you're using your equipment- rather they are trying to protect from damage for the average user (of which you are not).
    Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

6. Haywood

Thanks for the replies Guys
    Jack that link was helpful it basically supports what Vince is saying. I will give it a try Thanks Again
    Later Haywood [​IMG]