What's new

Sub issue!!! (1 Viewer)

Hi Guys,
This is my first post on this forum. I have been reading it for some time now. I have 2 questions to ask. I have a HTIB that i've had for about three years (Sony ht-ddw830). The sub is a 50 watt 8in. I'm satisfied with the highs and mids, just not the lows. I really can't afford to spend $500.00 bucks on a new sub. I have a 12in. Rockford Fosgate in an inclosed box. I used to have it in my truck a few years ago. I took it out of the attic and ran a seperate wire from my front right terminal on the reciver to it. I used large for my fronts. I have Sony floorstanding speakers. I get some more low end but still not enough and I think i'm running full range to it. I had it bridged mono in the truck.
My room is 20'x12'x8' and is open to most of the downstairs. I don't have another amp to run to it. Can I run it off the amp in the powered sub? Maybe in series? Any ideas will be helpful. The second question is can I buy another low cost powered sub with a in and out and have 2 running at once? I figure 2 8" subs is better than one. Buying a whole new setup is out of the question!!!! I could probably get away with spending $150 or $200 bucks on a new sub. Thanks....

Matt

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Your problem is that the receiver amps can not power that sub. Car subs usually run a 2 ohms, which is a hugh strain. That is why car sub amps are 500 or 1000 watts. The little amp in the receiver can't deliver that much power. And on top of that, if it is a digital amp receiver, they have an even harder time with low impedances.

"Can I run it off the amp in the powered sub?"

If you break into the sub and do some soldering you could. It would be better than running it off the receiver, but it still would be underpowered.

2 subs will be louder, but probably not much lower.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Besides running full range off of the receiver, it could be two other things. 1. The current enclosure is too small. It worked fine in the truck because of the cabin gain boosting the low frequencies. You don't get nearly as much gain in a room. 2. The resonant frequecy of that driver is too high. It was designed to be efficient at the expense of low frequency. There's nothing you can do but get a better driver. Either find the model number or better yet, the complete T/S specs and we can try to model it in a better box.

-Robert

Thanks for the info. I had a nice long reply and a couple of questions, but it said i couldnt post a message with a link. The link was for the woofer I am trying to use (4ohms). Im not trying to sell anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe a low cost amplified sub, with an input and output that can reproduce 25-35htz. Running it first from the sub-out on the reciver and my old one next. Could I get it lower then???? Thanks a bunch,,,

Matt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As was mentioned, maybe you could just get a plate amp that will handle the 4 Ohm load of that sub, though that driver/enclosure setup may not work well in a room compared to in a smaller enclosed space like a car/truck.

For $125 you can pick up the Dayton 10" sub from www.partsexpress.com That should be a lot better than the Sony sub.

Thanks again......I was looking at the Velodyne DPS10 and 12 the other day. Would that be the way to go, if I could get the wife to agree?? Given I would be using the same speakers an receiver that I have. Or buy a new receiver. She thinks we have too much bass now!!!! I really want the inpact of the movies!!!!! By the way, my little Sony knocked stuff off the shelves in the kitchen (30ft away) watching Ladder 49. It seems to be a better(different) sounding bass in different areas of my home>>>

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks