What's new

SUB is Making a "THUD" noise When Changing inputs! (1 Viewer)

Max_F

Auditioning
Hope someone could help me. My subwoofer makes a loud "thud" noise everytime I change input on my receiver. So if I change from DVD to CD that noise comes on and scares the living daylight out of my little children.
I don't know what happens to it but it started doing that recently and I have had the sub now for 2 years.
SUBWOOFER: PSB Subsonic 2i
RECEIVER: Nakamichi AV-10
Any help is greatly appreciated.
------------------

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Max- It's probably not the sub. The sub only replicates the input signal. Probably the receiver.
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Yes, this is usually a problem in the receiver. The receiver is supposed to mute the output for a instant when you switch modes/inputs. When that circuit fails...you get the thump.
TV

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like you can add Nakamichi to the list
Denon, onkyo and pioneer all do this after some time.
According to a Denon engineering type, it is caused by a breakdown in one of the IC's in the system. They would not go into more detail than that.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
This may or may not be a possibility. But a while ago after I got a new DSS receiver I pulled my system appart and hooked everything back up again (wanted to reorganize the cables). Anyways I pulled an ultimate I have no brain move and some how managed to plug my sub into the sub 6 channel input (for DVD-A etc) instead of the sub preout
blush.gif
This resulted in the sub making a funny thud noises when changing sources and turning the unit off. Just something to check if you recently rearranged things. Easy to do (I know) when you get complacent that you know what you are doing and quickly slap stuff back together.

Max_F

Auditioning
Thanks everyone for your input. I called Nakamichi services and they will look at the receiver to fix whatever brought it to this condition. Luckily, the receiver is still under warranty (which is 3 years) and I won't have to pay anything but the cost of shipping it to California.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks