Sub is done, now for the rest of my speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Carrigan, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Craig Carrigan

Craig Carrigan Stunt Coordinator

I am now satisfied with my subwoofer (EBS if you missed my other posts) and now I am on to bigger and better things.

Right now my center channel doesn't seem to get the job done. My speakers are B&W 601s for mains, CC6 for center, and dipole surrounds (forget the models). I'd like to build something better and in the process get a better center channel. Any ideas on kits to look at? Or are these pretty good? A B&W upgraded center is like $1200 so I figured I might look at the DIY and see where it gets me. Thanks for your insight.

Craig

2. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

3. Craig Carrigan

I was looking at the Kit 281s or the A/V-1+ This is for my dedicated HT so I'm not sure if either works any better for this situation. Also, will they outperform my existing setup? That is my main concern. I'd like to just replace the center channel but I think that would be pretty costly and I enjoyed my last project. Thanks.

Craig Carrigan

4. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

I would build a center channel using the A/V-1+ for $169. That way if you like it you can build the other speakers to match. I have heard them & think you will too although I have not heard the 601's or CC6 to compare the sound. I would say go with the cap upgrades & forget the Black Hole 5. Build solid cabinets. Use some Acoustic Damping Sheets (PE # 268-010) & Convoluted Foam (PE# 260-316B) if you want that extra little bit for about $40 less. That's what I did.

5. Craig Carrigan

I would worry about my center matching my mains, but I guess if it's just short term to see if I like it then it shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe I'll just try it out. Is the design for the center different than the one for the mains? Thanks.

Craig Carrigan

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Craig,

No, the A/V-1+ is the same other than it uses shielded drivers. The pic on the GR site shows the tweeter offset with the port underneath but Danny suggests only doing that if you have to place the center in a cabinet. Otherwise, he prefers the tweeter and port in their original alignments just like if you were using them as mains.

My cabinets do have Black Hole 5 in them. While I can't say that it makes a huge difference (I haven't done a comparison) it definitely adds to the rigidity of the enclosures.

7. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't build a center channel. If your running B&W's in the front you would end up changing the tonal timbre across the front sounstage. I thought one of the rules was to try to match all speakers to a single manufacturer.
    Take a look at e-bay for a LCR-600 or the older one, I think it's the 60. As far a cost you needn't spend 1200 on a center. The LCR should fetch about 300-500.

8. Craig Carrigan

I wasn't going to build one to be permanent, but just to see if I liked it. If it outperformed my B&W I would finish the rest of the 5.1 setup by building the rest of the kits. BTW, the LCR600 is what i currently have (I believe, they look the same) so I'd have to go a model up.

Craig