sub interconnects?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil_O, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering what kind of interconnect I should be running my sub to my receiver with? For a couple years I have had basic a basic Monster audio interconnect running to my receiver but I am now under the impression that this is not the best connection to use. Should I use a composite video cable? Or should I buy one of those 'sub' cables?

2. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

You will not realize any gains by switching to a regular coax cable (75 ohm composite video etc.)
    To realize an improvement you would have to step up to a better quality cable that uses Teflon as the insulation or maybe silver wire and Teflon. I find the Monster type cables give a bloated bass. Lots of rumble but little pitch defination. You will still get this from regular video type coax cable.
    Rhinocables and Boldercables sell the Belden 89259 based cable which will give you a tighter bass with improved pitch. IMO definately worth the money.
    Maybe the Bettercables silver serpent sub ic may be worth checking out as well.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The cable to the sub is responsibe for transferring a signal 20-120 Hz, give or take. A variety of cable types, including the one you're presently using, are capable of transferring this rather bandwidth limited signal to your sub. Since you've not indicated a problem with your present cable, and assuming it is not in some way defective, there is no audible reason to purchase something different. You've somehow acquired the wrong impressions. See if you can return them or exchange them for better ones [​IMG]