Sub in the rear

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Wheeler, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Don Wheeler

Don Wheeler Extra

I decided to run a 2nd run of speaker wire from my amp to my B&W ASW3000 in the back of the room sending the same signal as the rears are getting and using my HGS-18 as the .1 and was quite pleased with the results it is rather intense anyone else doing this?

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

3. Raine Linton

Raine Linton Stunt Coordinator

I've been experimenting with a sub in the rear(of my room [​IMG] )for the last few days. The first way was to just run the .1 channel from my DC-1 to my sub in the back of my room and set my fronts to full range(they are!). The second was to run from my side surround amp to the sub and cross it at about 50hz and run wire from my sub to my side surrounds, in addition to running the .1 channel to my built in subs in my fronts. Basically it comes down to do I run full range surrounds with the .1 in front or run full fronts with .1 in back. I'm leaning toward the latter but results vary with different source material. I'm open to any thoughts as this is all new to me. Also, I have tried a "Y" from my .1 channel to both front and rear subs.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I used to have my sub in the back. I moved it to the front for the time being. When I finish my DIY Supernova then I will have a sub in the front ".1" and a sub in the back. I have not decided whether to do ".1" in the back also as what I used to have. Ilike the concept of full range surrounds though (running the surrounds via the surround sub) although they would stay quiet most of the time.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

5. Raine Linton

Raine Linton Stunt Coordinator

I agree Neil, how much low end information is sent to the surrounds??. Say below 80hz.

6. Don Wheeler

Don Wheeler Extra

On DD and DTS there seems to be quite a bit as I have seen and heard. The HGS-18 up front delivering the .1 signal does its job. My suggestion is try it if you can.