sub in a closet?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JoseLH, Jul 15, 2006.

1. JoseLH

JoseLH Agent

Is is good to put a sub in the closet? My home is being built with the AV stuff in a closet. The only thing visible will be the screen of course and main speakers. I want to know if having the sub, it's an 8" Velodyne, in the av closet, with the door closed will sound weird. Ideas?

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I think you're on to something. While you're at it, why not try putting the speakers in the closet as well.

All joking aside. No, it is not a good idea. Will it sound weird? Yes, if by "weird" you mean "remarkably, incredibly, astoundingly bad."

Go with putting it in a front corner as a better starting point.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

It won't sound wierd if you are listening inside the closet. Outside the closet is another story. [​IMG]

Seriously, the sub needs to be able to pressurize the room to operate to it's best effect. There is no way you can pressurize the room if it is only able to pressurize the inside of the closet.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You get a LOT of the subwoofer sounds reflected from the walls of a room. A popular technique is to "corner-load" a sub by placing it in the corner of 2 long, un-broken walls to let the walls reflect the longest possible waves to enhance the lower frequencies.

You wont get any of this putting the sub in a closet or a "cubby".

Home Theater is about IMPACT. You want that sub to create sounds so your audence feels like the hand of god is reaching into their stomachs and swirling things around. You can 'hide' the other speakers in the walls/behind screens, but putting the sub somewhere else will compromise the sound.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Well, it could be done, but only if you open up your closet and change it into an exponential horn. However, that would be very difficult given the equipment already in it, and it would also nullify (so to say) the design of the subwoofer cabinet.

So leaving that option apart: everything as said above.

Cees

6. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I agree with all you guys. besides when the lights are off and you are whatching a movie you won't see the sub anyway.