Sub humming...driving me nuts...HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric M Jones, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Ok so I hooked up my new Outlaw 1050 today and now I'm getting a constant hum in my sub. It is just loud enough to be very annoying. I didn't have this problem with my old receiver. Sounds kinda like a ground loop thing except none of my stuff has a ground prong.
    I have a DIY Sonosub connected to an ART 351 EQ which is connected to an amp.
    Any suggestions for fixing this thing?
    -EJ
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

I was having the same problem and it turned out to be cable tv noise. Try unhooking youyr cable tv and see if it goes away, if it does do a search in HT hardware and there is a post that describes a fix. HTH
    ------------------
    Brett

3. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Most likely this is just a ground loop. If any of the components between the receiver and the woofer itself(EQ, or amp in your case) have the third grounding pin on the plug you will often get this. The easiest solution is typically go get the little 3 to 2 prong adapter and use it when you plug into the wall. Also, make sure that if the adapter has a little metal grounding look that it doesn't touch the screw in the outlet plate. That will ground it, and you will still have the problem.
    John

4. Kyle G

Kyle G Auditioning

yup, I had the same problem and I got rid of it by unhooking the cable from the T.V. Also, try unhooking the VCR from your T.V. This also caused a hum.
    ------------------
    "Hearing and listening are two entirely diffrent things"
    www.angelfire.com/movies/myhometheater

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

the 351 has a ground lift switch,around back...turn it off flip the switch...turn it back on...see if that helps?
    TV

6. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Thanks for the help guys. I found the culprit. It was an analog connection that I had to my PC. Kind of bums me that I can't use it though.
    -EJ
    ------------------
    [​IMG]