Sub hookup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Jul 12, 2001
    I have a passive sub powered by a DD Technics Receiver.
    For hookup, which is optimal?
    1. have the Denon 3802 (my main receiver) Sub-out going to the Tecnics Analog Sub-in, then from the Technics sub-out to the passive sub? (My techincs is 100 X 6, so it powers the sub with the sub-out) Of course the Technics 6 Channel input would have to be on for the sub to work.
    2. Have from the Denon sub-out y-adapted to goto the Stereo Left and Right in on the technics. Then the sub-out of the technics to the passive sub. This way, the 6-channel would be on all the time.
    I like option # 1 i think, but im not sure. I didnt want to use the crossover inside the Technics and Im scared thats whats happening when option #2 is done.
    I seem to get more bass with option #1. But I dont know if its more than what im supposed to be getting.
    Any help and/or advice would be appreciated.
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    Option #1 is probably a bad idea, because the crossovers of both the Denon and the Technics are in-line. This might be a bad thing, not knowing the details of their specs.
    Regarding option #2, there is no advantage for the sub to have the 6-channel function operating.
    The best thing to do is set the Technics to two-channel stereo mode and run the “Sub Out” from the Denon to an input on the Technics (there is no need to use a “y” into the Technics unless you are directly driving two subs.) Connect the sub to the same channel that the “Sub Out” line id plugged in to (i.e., left or right).
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    My Equipment List