Sub help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick_Black, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Rick_Black

Rick_Black Auditioning

I am looking to add a sub to my system that consists of a Yamaha 595a receiver, Paradigm Mark 5 SE III, Polk Surrounds, Paradigm CC150 center. What is a good match for these components?? I have been reading up on SVS subs and also considering a HSU, Velodyne, Paradigm, or Def. Tech. I don't want to spend over 600.00 and I want a sub that is musical as well as good for HT. thanks

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Rick,
    Welcome to HTF.
    Since it seemed to fill the bill with regards to more info about an SVS product squarely in your price range... and it's literally just been released by Jeff McNeal at "The Big Picture"... I'm attaching what's obviously the most recent review of an SVS PCi subwoofer.
    Frankly, $600 is a great price point with lots to choose from. I'd give the Hsu and Velo offerings in this price range a good look/listen too. If you can manage to find a Paradigm PW2200 under budget that'd be worth time to evaluate too.
    Regarding the review linked above, Jeff was using a pretty ratty old Klipsch sub; so he probably was something of a pushover when we convinced him to fire up a 20-39PCi. But with as much time in the audio and home theater business as Jeff McNeal has (being an old radio jock to boot) I'd say his opinions are worth more than many others you might come across. I have no doubt he would not have been shy about saying he didn't care for the SVS, he's been around way too long to put his stamp of approval on something not up to snuff.
    Fortunately for us (we really have no idea what any given reviewer is going to come up with) this reviewer's a believer now.
    Ron

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Pretty tough to beat the SVS 20-39PCi or the Adire Dharman at the $600 price point.
    Only other option I would suggest is to give either Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio an email or call and see what they can costum build you within your budget. I think you'll end up a little surprised at what they can do with your budget.