What's new

Sub help - VTF-2 and Rava (1 Viewer)

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I know that to some extent this has been beaten to death on some threads, but I couldn't find much of a head-to-head comparison.

I have a 14x18 room with a vaulted ceiling in one corner - I'm estimating around 2800ft^3. My receiver has a 100Hz crossover, my mains are JBL N38s, and I listen to about 50% movies, 50% music. I typically watch movies at 10-15db below reference.

I want the musical bass to be accurate, but I don't want to miss 5-10Hz of bass when watching movies. I know that neither sub will deliver like an SVS, but I'm hoping to at least feel it some. I like that "wow" factor. Can anyone suggest either from experience, or, better yet, specification-wise, which one of these two might be a better fit? Does the VTF-2 really offer more "oomph" for home theater?

Thanks,

Scott

JerryW

Supporting Actor
These are two very different subs. Since you're 50-50 HT and music I'd probably go for the Rava, as I think it does a better job than the VTF-2 in music. It just impressed me as a faster sub. Another option is the Adire Dharman (more $). It'll go lower than the Rava or the VTF-2, and from what Mike Knapp says, it's still quite "musical".

With all the SVS craze around here I figured most would be looking at their subs.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Rava probably has slightly less output than the VTF-2 but probably slightly better sound quality. So you may want to demo one to make the final decision depending on tastes.

You could get an SVS 25-31 and buy a PE plate amp for $140 to power it.

You could try Kyle Richardson's Acoustic Visions (he basically builds DIY subs for people).

Or you could save up more money and buy a Dharman or a regular SVS.

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
SVS isn't an option. They are too big, and my wife doesn't like the way anything looks already. Also, $450 or so is my genuine self-imposed limit. If it costs more than that it needs to come with a car.

DanaA

Screenwriter
How close do you think you're going to place the sub to your television? If I recall, the Hsu is shielded and the Rava is not. Just a consideration. Both are fine subs.

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
That question leads me to another question. I'd like to place the sub under my TV. It's a 32" Toshiba. Aside from the magnetic issues, does anyone know if TVs are sensitive to all that vibration at close range? I'm guessing not because people always talk about their SVSs rattling pictures off the walls, so I'm guessing that their TVs must not be affected by the vibrations.

Ricky_G

Auditioning
I have been struggling with the same decision. I leaned towards the rava since it has a bigger driver and stronger amp. But since I watch HT more than listen to music, I opted for the HSU sub. In addition, the RAVA is not available until mid march and I am impatient. I guess I'll find out soon if I made the right decision.

Ricky

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, I have the VTF2 and I listen to about 80% music and I am very pleased with the HSU. It is mated with Paradigm Studio 20s which I run as small and it blends in beautifully. I don't know about sheilding but my VTF2 is about 12 inches from the TV with no problems. I have not heard the Rava, so I can not comment on it but by all reports it is an excellent alternative. I do think it is generally aknowldged that the HSU has more ability to provide the "wow" (louder & deeper) factor with movies while the Rava being a bit tighter with music. The HSU is also smaller (good) and less attractive (bad). I think I would recommend the HSU to you to get the "wow" factor yet also being extrememly musical. IMHO, YMMV etc yadda yadda.

Nick

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've read I'm leaning toward the HSU. Unfortunately I don't know where I can audition either.

I've seen a review stating that the VTF-2 outputs 93db at 20hz and 99db at 25hz. Does anyone have any similar specs on the Rava?

Thanks,

Scott

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan mentioned:

Mark it down folks. Today is the day that the 25-31 was demoted to "irregular" status. But who wants to "regular" anyway?

As no one else has asked yet - what does this mean? Lower prices? Closeout? I was interested in buying one of these, so please tell me more about this or point me to a web site with information about this!

Thanks!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ryan was just referring to this statement:
You could get an SVS 25-31 and buy a PE plate amp for $140 to power it.
You could try Kyle Richardson's Acoustic Visions (he basically builds DIY subs for people).
Or you could save up more money and buy a Dharman or a regular SVS.
It's "irregular" if you buy the PE amp, I guess. :)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Irregular my ass!

We're "un-conventional conventionalists" I tell ya!

Seriously, for those wrestling with choosing from those two well-regarded subs I only want to say that either would work well. The VTF-2 especially has fans all over the industry.

The waters may get much more muddy soon in this price class however. Or clearer, depending on if you are customer or competitor.

"i" can't say much more than that right now, but suffice it to say that our long celebrated PC subwoofer is no longer.

The line for PC (Powered Cylinders) has halted. Instead, something is coming for the folks for whom the VTF-2 and Rava were the top of your game price-wise.

And we don't mean maybe.

Ron

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Ooooh Ron,

You are a tease! But I'm glad you mentioned it, as it'll keep me from making any impulse purchases while I'm in Montreal for the weekend.

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard enough about SVS on this and other forums that I'll have to put the upgrade on hold until more info is available. That sounds terrific!

Scott

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
If you like the "wow" factor, I recommend the VTF-2. And you can get some nice deals on brand new ones that are the new revision model, example:
Link Removed
It matters somewhat if you have full range towers for mains or not. With towers, I just like a sub that goes low and plays loud. With bookshelf sized speakers, you might consider the subs that are considered more musical. That said, the VTF-2 is not bad at all for music. Oh, and the VTF-2 is a very small box, but not what I would call a pretty one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks