What's new

Sub help please! (1 Viewer)

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
I just moved into a new home and have setup my system and it sounds great with the exception that my bass is now straining somewhat and a little thin.

I have considered going DIY but may want to purchase something now to immediately help the situation.

The theater is set in a finished basement that shares a kitchen, dining area, bar and kids play area. The volume of space the sub has to fill is about 2,300 sq ft.

My setup is all Klipsch reference speakers. I have a yamaha RX-Z1 as a pre/pro and a 150wpc amp. we sit about 15 feet from the speakers, both mains and surrounds. The sub (KSW 15) was good in my old setup but it now sits in a corner on a knee wall facing the opposite direction.

When I crank the system I have to put so much gain into the sub that it just cannot keep up and vibrates/rattles horribly.

My thought is to purchase a sub in the $600 to $800 dollar range and move the KSW 15 to the back and turn down it's gain.

It seems that SVS has some good subs in that range. Sunfire 10" true subs can be had on ebay for that price also.

Who should I be thinking about as well? Other suggestions gladly taken.

Thanks for your time.

Phil

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Phil,

Are you able to move the sub? You might be able to place the sub closer to the listening position to help get you by until you build/buy your replacement. Also, are you using a SPL meter and calibration disk to calibrate?

-Robb

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
Robb,

I can move the sub to a location behind the viewing area. I have not thought of that.

Also I do have a db meter but really do not know how to do a sub setup with one. I have only used it to setup my speakers. Actually never really thought about that as well.

How do you do that and what would I be looking for?

Phil

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I would try moving the sub just to get you by until you get something better.

At the very least your receiver should have test tones for all channels, including subwoofer. In a nutshell, you'd play those test tones holding the SPL meter in your listening position until they are all at the same level (with receiver test tones that is usually 75 dB). Mind you, the Radio Shack meter will read a tad low on lower tones, so if you set your sub to be equal with your mains you'll actually be 2-3 dB hot. Ideally, you'd get Avia to calibrate as test tones on receivers can be hit or miss. If you calibrate by ear, odds are you'll be very hot, and in that large a space that's just not fair to your current subwoofer.

-Robb

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Phil,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem is that you’re severely under sub’d for your 18,400 cubic ft. room (assuming it has 8 ft. ceilings). It takes a lot of “woofage” to pressurize a room that size, so it will also be a challenge to get high output and extension to 20 Hz or so. Both get more difficult to obtain the larger a room gets. You’re going to be hard pressed to find a sub in the $800 range that will do the job.

Since you have a SPL meter, I suggest downloading some sine wave test tones from Sonnie Parker’s BFD Guide and plot your sub’s in-room response. If you find it gets good extension, then I’d look into picking up another one (maybe two), which would increase your output. If extension is poor, I’d ditch the Klipsch and start looking for a better performing sub. For the sake of taking measurements, you’ll get the best output and extension with the sub in a corner.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Phil,

I am going to have to disagree with Wayne on something. SVS has subs in the $800 range that will work in your area. The 25-31 PC+ or the 20-39 PC+ would most likely make you very happy. If you can afford to up the budget to $1,000 delivered, the PB12-NSD/2 will be more than enough sub. No question about it.

I have one of those in a similar sized area and it is beyond enough sub. The 25-31 PC+ would have been "enough", but I wanted that extra for some occasions.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
If you're trying to fill over 18,000 cubic feet with anything near 20 Hz with minimal distortion, at anywhere near reference level, Wayne's right. There's just nothing out there in that price range, even from SVS. And a small, sealed 10 inch sub? Fuhgetabowtit. Does that mean you won't find something "good enough" that you love? Of course not, but personally, I'd recommend stretching for a dual driver sub in that space.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks