sub gurus....edward, frank, and others....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SandellV, Oct 1, 2004.

1. SandellV

SandellV Auditioning

im just curious on how you guys wire multiple subwoofers...y split-ing the preout?...signal amplifiers?...etc...please share....thanks...

2. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

I am no expert, but when I had 3 subs, I used a y-splitter off the back of the receiver, one cable went to the 20-39 PC+, the other went to my Samson S1000 amp, then speakers wires went to the Dual 20-39 CS's.

That's how I did it.

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

some subs do have a "pre-out(s)" that allow(s) the signal to be passed

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I haven't run multiple subs in a while, but I favor splitting the pre-out with a Y. Daisy chaining has the potential to add noise and I don't use that method.

I've never split the pre-out more than once, but in theory the voltage at each split should be the same. How many times the signal can be split in actual practice before something adverse happens is up for debate; maybe someone else can chime in.

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I haven't run multiple subs in a while, but I favor splitting the pre-out with a Y. Daisy chaining has the potential to add noise and I don't use that method.
    __________________________________________________ ____

As Ed states. Some times the signal becomes weaker to the sub at the end of the line when using the daisy method. As to why I really cant say.

I have Y'd up to four subs in the past and never had a problem. A person can do the Y at the end of the line if they would like to save on cable cost. It's also handy if you have a long run. How many times a guy can split the signal and get away with it is beyond me.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

just use a y splitter.

The ins and outs of many subs will include the crossover, as it is intended to be then output to speakers. So if the crossover is engaged, or is not able to be disengaged completely, the subs beyond it will have a giant high-pass there in the way.

7. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i use a y-splitter for my duals.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sandell,
    As the others have said, use a “y”. Electrically speaking, a “y” is a “y” is a “y”, and it doesn’t matter how you use it. So just use it in the way that is the most efficient from a cabling standpoint.

For instance, you mentioned “splitting the pre out.” That would be a good method if you had say, one sub to the right of the receiver and another to the left. But of you have both in the same place, it makes more sense to send a single cable to the first sub and use the “y” at its input. Then to jump to the second sub’s input with the other end of the “y” and another short cable.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

I also avail the use of the "Y" subwoofer signal splitting method.

In my particular case the only difference from the norm is that since all my subs are "passive" the subwoofer output signal from either Lexicon pre/pro ("big" HT system) or Pioneer receiver ("small" HT system) is sent to separate power amps.

With the Lexi pre/pro the signal actually goes through an Outlaw ICBM-1 bass management/crossover unit before is distributed to the amplifiers that power drive both main speakers and subwoofers, while with the Pioneer receiver its sub output signal goes straight into the power amp that drive the subwoofers...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS Bassaholic..."