What's new

Sub: Front firing vs floor firing? (question) (1 Viewer)

Anthony Chiu

Agent
My new Axiom Master system should arrive today.

In a fairly compact listening area, I'll have 2 M3ti fronts, a VP100 center, 2 qs4 surrounds, and the ep175 sub...which is front firing.

After reading the many positive posts about HSU, I'm anticipating a possible exchange of the Axiom sub with the HSU.

My only concern is the fact that HSU is a floor firing sub. My HT is in a carpeted room in my basement, which has a concrete slab under the carpet.

Am I better offwith the front firing Axiom EP175 Sub, or should I still consider the HSU floor firing Subs?

Thanks

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
In my experience....front firing has sounded better for HT. Thats just MO though.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

John S

Senior HTF Member
A downward fire sub, usually does not actually fire into the floor, they usually have a large open on 2 sides port of sorts, that have a bottom to fire off of.

But I am not familure with the HSU at all. But I have seen all sub designes perform well, even on plush carpet, as long as it is a good quality sub in general.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Bass wavelengths are just way too long for it to matter. No difference between the two. Assuming all other parameters are equal. ie, same driver, same enclosure volume, same enclosure rigidity, same porting, same tuning, same power, same room and same positioning.

Most down firing subs don't have any sort of base plate. Also carpet would have to be on the order of 3ft thick to affect bass frequencies.

Bottom line, don't base your decision off of front or down firing.

Anthony Chiu

Agent
So since I already have the Front firing Axiom Sub....Is it best place the sub where the front woofer would be facing the seating area? (front stage next to TV and front speakers)....Or is it best to place the sub facing a wall, or perhaps the back of the sofa?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Experiement with it, because I have found in-consistant results on this from one sub model to another.

If you can get an SPL or meter or already have one, it is a much easier thing to judge.

I mean with sub placement, like in a corner as opposed to along a wall, I have seen large margins of gain differences.

I have seen notable gains by turning subs one way or another too, not large margins, but detectable ones none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks