Sub frequency response irregularites-BFD?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by AjayRAV, Jun 19, 2005.

1. AjayRAV

AjayRAV Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I have a Marantz SR8400 with the sub crossover set at 80Hz. My sub is a RAVA with the internal crossover turned off. My main speakers are Ascend CBM 170s. My Frequency curve climbs from about 70dB at 25Hz to peak at 78Hz at 45Hz. There is a wide 10dB depression from 65Hz to 110 Hz. From then on the trace is flat at 78dB. I suspect the wide trough is a combination of a bass null and the receiver crossover set at Hz. To me the bass sounds a little boomy. What would be the best way to address this? A Behringer unit?

Thanks,
    Ajay

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, the BFD the cheapest solution, and a very effective one. It might not solve 100% of your response problem, but it’ll certainly make a dramatic improvement. Here’s a before/after curve of one BFD user to give you some idea:

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. AjayRAV

AjayRAV Stunt Coordinator

I'm actually wondering if the BFD will clean up the trough between 65 and 110 Hz, since my sub input will theoretically be under 80Hz which is my receiver cut-off.

Thanks,
    Ajay

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Yes, it might well. The crossover does not cut all signal to the sub at 81 Hz- it gradually rolls off and there is plenty of sub action for the BFD to work with at 110 Hz