What's new

Sub frequency response irregularites-BFD? (1 Viewer)

AjayRAV

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I have a Marantz SR8400 with the sub crossover set at 80Hz. My sub is a RAVA with the internal crossover turned off. My main speakers are Ascend CBM 170s. My Frequency curve climbs from about 70dB at 25Hz to peak at 78Hz at 45Hz. There is a wide 10dB depression from 65Hz to 110 Hz. From then on the trace is flat at 78dB. I suspect the wide trough is a combination of a bass null and the receiver crossover set at Hz. To me the bass sounds a little boomy. What would be the best way to address this? A Behringer unit?

Thanks,
Ajay

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, the BFD the cheapest solution, and a very effective one. It might not solve 100% of your response problem, but it’ll certainly make a dramatic improvement. Here’s a before/after curve of one BFD user to give you some idea:

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AjayRAV

Stunt Coordinator
I'm actually wondering if the BFD will clean up the trough between 65 and 110 Hz, since my sub input will theoretically be under 80Hz which is my receiver cut-off.

Thanks,
Ajay

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Yes, it might well. The crossover does not cut all signal to the sub at 81 Hz- it gradually rolls off and there is plenty of sub action for the BFD to work with at 110 Hz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks