Sub Frequency Response-How flat is good enough?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GregBe, Apr 2, 2004.

1. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

My room is 19' x 19' x 8. From what I have read, square rooms are horrible as far a sub frequency response. I started with the sub in one of the front corners and had huge dips and peaks. After moving the sub around, I found a spot near my seating position that is pretty smooth and sounds great.
    There are still seveal peaks and dips, but they are much tamer now. When I run a low frequency sweep, the difference between the highest peak and the lowest null is about 5db. Is this pretty normal, or is this still way too much.
    I know with this room, I won't be able to get perfection, but wondering if this is good enough.

Thanks
    Greg

2. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Greg, if you really only have a difference of 5 dB between the highest peak and the lowest dip, I think that's really good, especially if you've done that without any equalization.

The next step (if you want to really tweak the response curve) would be to add an equalizer like the BFD.

Matt

3. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I agree with Matt, I think that's pretty good, esp with no EQ.
    --steve

4. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Thanks Guys,

There is one peak that I didn't mention. It is around 24 Hz. It is rather large, but I figured it would be too low to have an effect on music, and would help with movie LFE. Would you guys agree with this logic.

Greg

5. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I would agree. Consider yourself lucky. I'd be psyched with that kind of natural in-room-response.
    --steve