Sub for under $200

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DavidFun, Oct 30, 2003.

1. DavidFun

DavidFun Agent

I would like to build a sub for under $200 that would outgun an old infinity Bu2. It is a ported 100 watt 12incher. Any suggestions for sub and amp combo that would be under 200, and not be too boomy.

2. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

I would do a Dayton Quatro 15 with the 250watt amp in a big vented box, both found at Parts Express. Those come in at just over $200, there's also a 12 inch Quatro but it doesn't model up as good.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Only problem w/ the Quatro 15" is it's limited X-Max which will lead to bottoming out at higher SPL in ported enclosures. It also requires a pretty large box (nearly 7 cu ft) to hit 20hz. While it is pretty cheap i think the small x-max and large box required for something easily obtained by other 12" drivers make it a less-than-optimal choice.

If you could find a used Shiva or old SVS driver you could do very well. My first DIY was a used Shiva and a PE250 amp and came in right at $200.

There was also a thread awhile back about the JBL GT120 car sub modeling very well for HT purposes, very similar to the Shiva. It can be had for around $50 online. It's an 8ohm driver so it won't take full advantage of the PE250 amp, but it's PE is only 250watts anyway. It also has a 93db sensitivity, so it won't need as much power to get it to high volumes. Download WinISD or LSPCAD and model different drivers in different boxes and see what you like and will work with your size constraints (if any).

Some other drivers to look for:
    Adire Shiva & Tempest
    Dayton 12" DVC, 15" DVC, 12" Titanic MKII
    Original SVS Driver (models EXTREMELY close to the shiva)
    Blueprint 1801

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Isn't Stryke supposed to have the new SAE1204 out? Their link to the SAE series is busted so I can't be sure. But this is supposed to be 4 ohm woofer very similar to the Shiva for something like $85. A terrific deal and perfect for your goals.

If you're willing to wait or you've got a spare amplifier of some sort to use in the meantime, you might catch a sale on the PE 250 amps. They've been on sale for $120 with free shipping. And they were a $100 deal-of-the-day at one point. Also, watch PE's auctions on E-bay and the for sale section here at HTF.