Sub for Maggie 2.1 music system

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kris_M, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Kris_M

Kris_M Auditioning

I have my music system up and running and now turn my attention to a sub. I have Maggie MG 12QR's with Acurus A150 amp, Anthem TLP1 preamp, and Onix XCD-88 in a living room 12'x18'. My choices at the moment are ACI Titan or SVS PC-Ultra. That is about as far as I would like to stretch the budget, pricewise. I like the furniture look of the titan over the black of the Ultra better. Any thoughts or advice?

Kris

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Perhaps a used Rel Storm III or Strata III. The room is not exceptionally large and depending on your listening preferences and musical interests you might want to see current Rels at a local dealer. I would guesss that the Strata III (no longer made) might make a good match and it has a very flexible crossover.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Kris

There is a huge thread on Maggies. I think they have touched on everything related to them including subs. The new Rocket UFW-12 is supposed to be excellent, including an equalizer, in rosewood for $1,100.

Of course, it is a brand new product. If all the bugs have been taken care of, it should be killer.

Between the Titan and the PC-Ultra, the Ultra will trounce the Titan in performance but the Titan looks nicer.

After the Rocket UFW-12, the PB-Ultra in a wood finish is the sure thing, but it will cost you another $250.

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

In a room that size, the Rocket UFW-10 would be another excellent option and they're available right now. The UFW-12's are still on the water and will probably take a couple more weeks to arrive.

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Performance-wise, the Ultra is hard to beat anywhere near the price. Pristine on movies and hi-rez music. Built-in PEQ is a godsend. Since a box is ok, the PB12-Ultra (below in rosewood) ain't too hard on the eyes to say the least:

[​IMG]

The Rocket subs would be great, also, especially since it's not LFE duty. They're beautiful, and the eq functions are really cool.

6. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Howdy Kris,

Arthur is correct.In the maggie thread,subs have been talked about.I run an IB sub with my maggies,and it matches the maggies well.

Keep in mind,Maggies are a very quick speaker,so the sub should also be fast(transitions,etc)

A good source of info on Maggies,subs that match well and other info related to planar speakers is

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/bbs.html

This is a Maggie users group.Happy sub shopping.

7. Kris_M

Kris_M Auditioning

Thanks for the info guys. The PB12 Ultra looks nice but shipping here is expensive, so that is a consideration...($200 on my HT sub,SVS PB12-ISD2)
    I will have to check out the huge maggie thread. My maggies are just breaking in now and starting to sound real nice. Will have to check out the rocket sub, I haven't looked at that yet.

Kris

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Another option, and the best one really for dipole speakers, is a dipole sub:

[​IMG]

That's the type that'll really sound inherently "quick". Monoplole subs are much more subject to the room's influence.

9. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Kris,

I currently own a SVS PC-Ultra and a MartinLogan Depth. I have 2 systems. My HT has B&W speakers with the Ultra!! My 2 channel system has MG1.6s and the Depth!!

Both subs are great subs, and best suited for the system which thsy are in!!

10. Kris_M

Kris_M Auditioning

Wellllll..... I just pulled the trigger on a B stock PC Ultra, I have wanted one for a while. If it doesn't work out it may end up in the basement with the HT and I will get rid of the PB2-ISD.

Kris

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The Ultra driver is extremely clean and works exceptionally well in the upper bass to mate cleanly with your 12's. While "speed" in well-designed subwoofers is more a function of their position and in-room FR than anything else, the Ultra is certainly "fast" and "musical" to use the fashionable terms. Its deep bass is just as impressive.