Sub for Axiom 22s

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Manuel:R, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Manuel:R

Manuel:R Auditioning

Trying to decide between the HSU's VTF-2 and Axiom's EP175 sub in order to match my M22s.

The nice folks at Axiom position the EP175 as being a musical sub. They claim that musically the EP175 will blend in very well with the M22s without drawing too much attention to itself. However, if I am looking for big sound effects for HT, although the EP175 will perform adequately, there are other subs that are better suited for this but at the expense of musical quality.

Has anyone compared the EP175 and VTF-2 paired with M22s? For home theater I get the impression that the VTF-2 is the better choice, but for music which one is the better choice?

Both are priced about the same. However, since I am in Canada I would save on the shipping charges with the Axiom sub. Also, I get a further 5% discount with Axiom if I get a complete home theater set-up. Thus, this would make the EP175 sub about $100 cheaper than the VTF-2.

Oh yes, my room is 20x12x8 and I am 50/50 Music/HT.

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Have a look over on the Axiom forum. Many seem to prefer the VTF-2 over the EP175 for music and HT.

Also...Axiom will apparently give you a good deal even if you do not get their sub.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I would check out SVS as well!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My room is larger than what you list yours to be and my VTF-2 is able to fill it quite well. It is well suited to music and does very well with movies.

5. DaveAr

DaveAr Stunt Coordinator

Manuel,
    You still get 5% off if you purchase w/o the sub. I purchased M22's QS8's VP150, check the outlet store, already 5% off, with little to no blemish at all.
    After much reading, surfing, asking I opted for the Stryke Audio Mini-Thunder. John at Stryke laid claim his sub can go lower than the same line in SVS or HSU. He got some good feedback as well on the forums. Also his subs are available in an array of finishes for no extra charge.
    The Mini-Thunfer has an AVS 12" driver with 2 passive resisters, which are better than ports. Check the website, or give him a call. At 549 it was a decent deal. Although since he builds to order it may take a little time. I ordered mine last week, should be here soon.[​IMG]

6. John S

John S Producer

For HT effects, get the biggest meanest sub you can find, that you like the sound of. For music with the same sub, just tweak until you get acceptable results. My Velodyne, has a switch for music / HT, and it does seem to work well, but sort of a pita to always remember to switch it.

Good luck on your sub purchase. For HT I just have not found that try'n to find a good match for your sats is or should be a big criteria. For music this totally changes though, a good match is essential for optimal sound for music program.