What's new

Sub for Aussie buyer? (1 Viewer)

Timos

Auditioning
Hey everyone.

I have been looking at both M&K and Paradigm subs to replace my little Yamaha yst sw320.
In particular i've looked at, and auditioned the M&K V75II and the V125, as well as the Paradigm PW-2200.

I have been offered prices of $1725 (MK V125) and $1899 (Paradigm pw2200) in Australian $$$, which is by far the cheapest available in Australia, especially shipped to my door.

I like the tight bass of the MK's, however i also looove the BIG sound of the paradigm.

I watch about 60% home theatre and 40% music. My room is about 6m x 8m and i'm using all KEF q-series speakers (q55.2 and q95.2centre) matched with a Yamaha rxv1000 receiver.

I would like some input from people who own these speakers or anyone's opinion on what would suit my needs better. Also, any Australian readers who have experience with these subs.

Hopefully some good points will be raised to help my decision.

Tim.

ling_w

Second Unit
The Hsu subs are available direct from Australia, all that Queensland requirements like 240v and such. The VTF-2 could be had for $1200 Australian Dingos, and dual VTF-2 for $2200. Single VTF-3 could be had for $2400. All include your Gst and shipping.
The best deal is the VTF-2, single or dual. It is a big discount over their $1600 usual price.
You can check it out here:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~colinf/hsuset.html

Isaac C

Stunt Coordinator
Timos,
If you're quite handy with power tools, or you know someone who'd be willing to build the enclosure for you, I'd recommend building your own subwoofer. It's quite easy and you'd be getting a lot more quality bass for less money :)
If you're interested, I could help you get started :)
Cheers,
Isaac

Richard_M

Second Unit
I have 2X of the M&K V125, and the bass is fine. I tame the peaks using a BFD 1100p equaliser.

I did have at one stage a small Vaf sub, but the port noise annoyed me, this is why I went with sealed Subs, I am hoping to get a HSU VTF3 when they become available in Oz, the only problem could be port noise and or AC Hum with the HSU due to having an earth, still will have to wait and see.

BTW the only reason I am looking to upgrade is that I love low bass that has a nice feel to it. The M&K's have a great sound, but I would like to get bass down to around 15hz or lower.

Vaf have a new one coming soon, this is part of the email when I asked how it would compare to the HSU VTF3

Quote:-

We are trying to do something special with the new sub. I understand you are considering a purchase now however we do not want to let the ‘cat out of the bag’ on the new sub just yet. I can tell you that we are not just packaging existing parts and that EVERY piece of the new sub has been designed from the ground up. With regard to the specific level/freq/size it will be smaller, go deeper and play louder and do all of this with lower distortion.....but there will also be a few other features which I have not seen on a sub before....I hope you can wait 3-4 months

End Quote:-

Regards,

Richard

Timos

Auditioning
Thanks Richard,

I have auditioned both the V125 and the Paradigm 2200 now, i believe that the Paradigm KICKED the MK's butt in the low down bass as well as the high volumes. The paradigm actually shook a centre speaker off a tv in the listening studio next to us in my local hifi store!!!

Just need to layby the sucker and pay it off.

Tim.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
not sure if you'd consider buying a sub without demoing it... the rest of you would guess that I'm going to suggest SVS, and you'd be right.
I haven't got mine yet (still "in transit" at O'Hare last time I checked :frowning: ), but considering total "bang for the buck", shipping is not as expensive as you might think: door-to-door to Singapore, shipping will cost me US$106, and since the 25-31 if now US$499, the total of US$605 works out to about S$1,089, which is also about A$1,089 today -- you're benefiting from the rising Aussie dollar. so that's several hundred less than the subs you've demo'ed so far.
I don't know if shipping to Australia will cost that much more than shipping to Singapore, but if you're interested, no harm in asking the good folks at SVS to get a quote on shipping. FWIW, their website shows shipping to Oz is US$270 (for a 20-39) -- but it also shows shipping to Singapore is US$240 and in practice it's only US$106 (albeit for a slightly smaller 25-31; SVS say the difference is about US$10-20), so you never know.

Richard_M

Second Unit
Hi Yee-Ming,
I know your question is not directed at me, but I have been considering the SVS's for some time, but the only thing I am not sure of is how much Australian Customs are going to sting me.

I would love to get the 2xPC+ complete with amp, but the amp has fans that I am sure would annoy me during quiet passages etc.

I am now looking at the HSU VTF3, but after reading other owners experiences I am a little bit dubious at this stage.

Still, can't do much regarding the HSU at the moment as they are still not available in Australia.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks