Sub for a budget setup

shiraz

Auditioning
Real Name
Shiraz
Over the last several months I've been totally impressed with the depth and quality of discussions on this forum. I also appreciate the time and effort people take to respond to each newbie question, and this has pushed me to ask my own question after having read through various threads on the forum.

I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my current setup. Here's a summary of my modest system:

Receiver - Pioneer VSX 815-K
Speakers - Polk Audio Monitor 50 floorstanders for fronts
Source - My PC, hooked up to the receiver through a TOSLink digital cable (optical)

I would eventually like to take this to a 5.1, but right now I just want to add a sub. My room is rectangular, 25' * 10', with a 10' ceiling. I mostly listen to music, with a smattering of weekend movies (70-30). My budget is flexible, between $100 - $250. My questions are as follows:

1. How powerful a sub do I need, given my room size and my other components?

2. I live in India, where we have 230V AC power. What kind of transformer equipment should I have to feed the sub the right voltage?

3. A lot of people recommended the Dayton 10" sub, but I don't see that available anymore on partsexpress. How good is the replacement 125W model from their stable?

4. What are the lowest-priced Hsu/ SVS/ Velodyne subs I should consider for my needs? Apparently, the room size and other speakers suggest that I need not consider models like the PB10-ISD etc., as they are way too big for my needs.

Looking forward to hearing your pov!

Thanks,
Shiraz.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
What kind of sound are you looking for? Keep in mind your trying to fill a 2500cu ft area with sound. So of course we're going to recommend an SVS or Hsu. You might think its too much but if you were to get a cheapy small sub and then listen to it next to some of the offerings from Hsu, SVS or Velo you would realize what your missing. Its tough to fill that space with a cheapy small sub. You did bring up SVS but then said the PB10 NSD would be too much yet its the smallest they offer. Trust me the PB10 would be good in that space but of course the PB12 would be even better

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
That's a tough budget to meet for a sub

I would guess that a $100.00 sub would sound worse than not having one

I am by no means an audiophile, but I had a cheap 10" sub (was about $180.00) and it sucked - chuffing and huffing all the time - i was able to sell it, but obviously at a a loss

I bought a more expensive ($325.00) 8" sub and it is SOOOO much better - model = Energy 8.2

Now this was for a small condo, so it fit my needs perfectly

I will be moving this weekend to a dedicated theater area in a basement
New room size will be 8' x 16' so i will be in need of a new sub
Seriously contemplating the SVS PB10

I would suggest you save up and try to buy a better sub - you may save (not waste) money in the long run

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Two budget subs that I am hearing great things about are the Premier Acoustic PA-12W and the Bic Acoustech H-100. I have a larger budget for a sub, at $600, so I am actually purchasing two PA-12W's. They are $299 a piece.

shiraz

Auditioning
Real Name
Shiraz
Thanks guys, this is helpful. It sounds like everyone's voting for the PB10!
Given that SVS subs are sold manufacturer-direct, where would I be able to get a demo of the PB10? Are there some company outlets where they might have demo setups?

Paul, good luck for the move. Let me know once you close on your new sub.

Jeff, I will audition the PA-12W and the H100 as well.

Thanks!

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Depends on where you live. There could be people in your area that would give you a listen. You should be able to telll the SVS crew that you would like to listen to one. I think they just put a hold on a CC and you have to pay for the shipping back to them if you don't like it. Then again I have heard of them working things out with potential customers so you'll just have to ask. Try asking around first to see what kind of subs are in your area to audition...nothing beats asking around the forums...thats what they are here for.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Hmmm...just read you are in India. Now that could be a tough one.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaschoolei