Sub for $200 or under

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_ATL, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Scott_ATL

Scott_ATL Extra

Greetings, all.
    I did a search for the Yamaha YST-SW205 sub in this forum, but came up with nothing. I am looking for the best powered sub for $200.00 or under. I've heard mixed stuff about the Sony 8" powered sub. The Sony 12" sounds better, but still kinda gets trashed in reviews. I listened to a Yamaha YST-SW205 last night at Best Buy as well as both Sony's.
    The unfortunate thing was that I could not listen to the same song on all 3 subs. The Yamaha was tight, but did not seem to project as much as either Sony.
    Does anyone have any input on this comparison or any other suggestions for subs at this price range?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

JBL PB10 at JandR.com for $199 shipped.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I like the Yamaha subs a lot. I have had an older YST-SW500 for a few years, and it's done a very good job. It's no SVS, but it was not too expensive and has a some features many others do not, in particular a remote and memory settings for x-over, phase and volume.

I would say the 305 would be a better choice, with a bit more power and dual drivers.

4. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have a Sony wm40 and I like it. I only paid $150.

5. Justin Bowser

I also picked up the PB10 from J&R for $199 shipped and even in a fully carpeted (w/thick pad) living room I can rattle some of the ol' lady's stuff in the bookcase without even trying! Although, she informed me that if anything vibrated off and got broken I had better start sleeping with one eye open... Very deep bass for something that small and it delivers bass effects that you can "feel" at the other end of the house.

6. Scott_ATL

Scott_ATL Extra

Hmmmmm...that JBL at J&R seems pretty cool. I saw 2 Acoustic Research subs that were pretty inexpensive as well, the S112PS and the S108PS. Does anyone have any opinons of either of these subs?

I like the new Yamaha with 2 8" drivers, but it's $299, and that, unfortunately, is out of my range right now.

Thanks for the input thus far!

7. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

8. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Audiosource SW Fifteen. The most powerful (200watts RMS) deep (25 solid Hz) and big (15 inch) sub you will find for that amount.

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

A second vote for that Audiosource SW Fifteen. Although, like the popular Sony it can sound kind of tubby until you put some polyfill in it. I'm getting one for my parents soon.

10. Scott_ATL

Scott_ATL Extra

I've looked into that AudioSource SW Fifteen...looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it won't be too large for my bedroom. I've also noticed the AudioSource SW10, which seems like a pretty damn good deal.
    Is the SW10 better than, say, the Sony SAW-M20 or SAW-M40 or the Yamaha YST-SW205?
    Any input would be great, and thanks a lot for the input thus far. [​IMG]