Sub EQ's: Behringer BFD & Rane PE-17

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Just curious if anyone out there has had experience with at least the Rane.

The Behringer has this annoying "feature" of testing your subwoofer's output level everytime the EQ is turned on while the sub is already powered.

(Basically, you get an unpleasant "thump" through the sub if you turn on the sub 1st, then the BFD.)

Just curious if the Rane does this.

And then, anyone with experience with both? Any comments in terms of pluses and minuses for each?

For example, BFD has 12 filters per channel, 2 channels, Rane only has 5 filters (right?); ease of use, sound quality (?), build quality, likeable factor, etc...

I have a BFD, and kind of really like it (except for the stupid freaking "thump"), but upgradeitis being what it is, maybe I would like the Rane even better!

Thanks!

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Sorry, but bad news. The PE-17 thumps too. On both turn on and off. So I leave mine on 24/7. When I sent back my registration card, one of my suggestions was to eliminate the thumps (which would be easy to do...just use a power on/off relay.)
    I haven't used a BFD. Only my PE-17. But based on all that I've read, I don't think changing would make any huge differences. My advice is to keep the BFD. [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Believe it or not, an internal relay might not make a difference. I have a Yamaha pro 2/3 octave EQ in my bass rig, and the relays kick in the equalizer. However, before they kick in, it passes the straight (i.e., unequalized) signal right through to the outputs!

Scary, huh?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Thanks Chuck.

I guess the follow on question is:

Anybody have the new Behringer 1124p yet? Does this do it too?

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I second the leave it on 24/7 reply. These processors don't eat up a lot of juice and are designed to be left on anyway. Just like in the recording studios they were built for.

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

As far as leaving it on, and I do realize that in a studio that might be the case, but what about any "phosphor" burn on the LEDs readouts?

Another question too:

Does the 1100p/1124p pass information below 20 Hz? I have a sneaking suspicion it cuts it off, but my sub's output is already diving at 20 Hz so I don't know.

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Yes, it will pass through, Kevin. You can even use 20 Hz as your center and if you set your bandwidth wide enough, it will perform the cuts on the lower frequencies--someone on AVS mentioned down to 5 HZ.

DJ

9. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Is the Behringer Ultra Curve Pro not suitable for home theater applications? Its seems to me that with the room analyzer, parametric eq, and feedback destroyer all rolled into one unit it would be perfect.

10. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

The Ultra Curve Pro is limited to 4 parametric EQs per channel, not enough to completely eliminate peaks in some rooms.

BruceD

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer