What's new

Sub/DVD Upgrade Questions (1 Viewer)

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
After a ton of shopping and reading, I ordered a TOSH 65H80 TV this morning. (Larry @ OneCall.com $2488 plus $319 curbside shipping)
I won't have an HDTV signal to feed to the set for the foreseeable future, but am considering upgrading to a progressive scan DVD player.
To do it without spending any more money, my plan is to sell my Sunfire True Sub MK II, which will fetch around $800 on eBay, then use the proceeds to buy a lower-dollar sub and progressive scan DVD player.
The DVD players under consideration are the Sony DVPNS700 and the JVC XVD723, each of which can be had for around $300. Thoughts on these or others in the $300 range welcome.
That leaves $500ish for a new sub. Velodyne CT150? SVS 16-CS 46? (I have my old ProLogic Sony receiver that's no longer being used that could be used to provide good clean power to the SVS unit, so the amp is not an issue.)
Thoughts welcome and much appreciated!
Jerry

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I can't help you much on the DVD players. But, I think I would go with the Sony player. As for the sub, get the SVS. I don't think I have heard one bad thing about them yet. Think of it this way. Your getting a $1500 sub for about $400.
------------------
Jeff Blair
OK, I need a new sig. :)
My DVD's

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Are there dealers out there on SVS or are all orders done directly through them? I'd never looked into them at all until I saw them mentioned so much here.
Thx...
------------------

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
They are a couple of guys that were building them just for fun, and decided to make some money from us.
wink.gif
The only place you can buy them are online. They are a good group of guys. Just don't let them know, or there head's will get even bigger.
crazy.gif

I guess I better be a little nice to them, since once I save up enough, I'm going to get one from them.
wink.gif

------------------
Jeff Blair
OK, I need a new sig. :)
My DVD's

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Jerry,
Definitely SVS for the thump in your system. I would e-mail the guys at SVS with your room dimensions and levels you want to achieve (SPL) with your sub.
They have a 45 day return policy, so if for some insane reason you're not happy....back it goes. Someone else mentioned that they haven't heard a bad thing about SVS. That is truth, consider me another VERY happy SVS owner (BTW, I have the 20-39PC).
As for progressive scan players in your price range, the new Sony (700?) model is right at $300...and offers excellent performance to those who have purchased it. There are unconfirmed or unofficial reports that it does have the "chroma bug" The Panasonic RP-91 gets plenty of accolades for it's performance at around $500 and does not have the chroma bug. There is a new batch from Kenwood and Toshiba on the way very soon...they may be here already.
I own the Denon 2800 and I'm very happy with it's performance....it is a little spendier than your budget allows, however.
Jeremy

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Thx, Jeremy. While this upgrade process is exciting, after a while the numbers start to run together and it begins to be a bit like work.
I've already e-mailed SVS; looking forward to hearing back from 'em soon.
Jerry

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Here is my suggestion it will cost a few $$ more than the $800 but I like it.
Pick up an SVS 25-31 for $400 shipped
Pick up a Panasonic RP-91 Progressive Scan DVD for $450
I think the Panasonic is an awesome "budget" progressive scan player. I have not seen the Sony or the JVC but I heard that they both have the chroma issue but the Panasonic does not.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Greg

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Heard anything about the Panasonic RP-56? I'm seeing it for $224 and it plays MP3 which would be a nifty feature to have. I have a ton of MP3s and 200 songs on one disc is very appealing. Of course, I don't want to sacrifice video quality to get that feature, so if it has the chroma bug I don't want it.
Where is the RP-91 available at for $450? I definitely wanna check it out, and am also loading up the SVS site now to check your sub rec.
Thx much.

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, making progress here. Just ordered SV16-46CS sub. Tom recommended two because of the room size, but I'm gonna start with one of these behemoths which will be hard enough to "sneak" in. Why do so many wives not appreciate the beauty of necessities like these? Hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks