Sub Dilema to go with my Paradigm speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mattlock_, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Mattlock_

Mattlock_ Auditioning

Jan 16, 2005
    I am setting up my first HT. My room is 13x23x8.5 or 2,541 cubic feet, a shoebox shape with a flat ceiling.

My HT will be used 90% for DVDs movies and TV movies Very little for music listening only.

My speaker selection is as follows:

Front: Paradigm Mini Monitors
    cent: Paradigm CC350
    surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170

My big dilema is the Sub...

I've heard the Paradigm PDR-12 and was impressed for $480. However, I've heard great things about the SVS PB-10 for the same price..shipped.

Has anyone actually compared the two? Any thoughts?

My other dilema is whether or not the Paradigm 12 is overkill for my room. But then again its only $100 more than the Paradigm 10 inch.

How's this for tweaking my system to stay within budget:

Front: Paradigm Mini-Monitors
    Center: Paradigm CC370
    Rear: Paradigm Cinema ADP (vs ADP170) savings $180
    Sub: SVS PB-12 ($600) instead of Paradigm 12 inch $500

Net....$80 savings

Any thoughts

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Oct 20, 2002
    My room is 12x18x8h and I use SVS PB12-Plus/2 and I am in wonderland. . . Although I like Paradigm I like SVS better especially subs. I have owned Paradigms Servo 15 and other 12s that they produced and they were fine but my SVS 2039 would beat them. . and at a much lower price.

I would consider the powered cylinder. . . I dont remember the model number but I think their entry level cylinder or the PB10 will do very well. . .
  3. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

Jun 29, 2003
    Correct answer=SVS. I own a Paradigm PW2100 and from what I have read the SVS performs about the same. Just look at the specs of how low the subs go:
    PDR-10 27Hz
    PDR-12 24Hz
    PB-10 should get you under 20Hz

In my opinion the PB-10 is comparable with Paradigms PS/PW line so your choice is an easy one, save your cash and buy the SVS!

As far as your surrounds go, make sure you demo a pair of paradigm atoms as well, this could save you more cash and they work great.
  4. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Sep 15, 2002
    I love Paradigm......have owned speakers from every one of their lines except the Signatures. With that said, NO WAY would I ever go with the PDR-12 over the SVS. I have heard the PDR-12 several times and owned the PDR-10. They are not in the same league. In my opinion, you'd be throwing your money away on the PDR.
  5. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Nov 16, 2003
    I am a big fan of Paradigm speakers but not of their subs. I have heard and considered purchase of the PDR. The PB 10 is just a totally superior piece of equpiment with noticeable audible differences.