1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sub died: Replacement advice

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dan Rudolph, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I have a JBL L8400P. I got it in April 2009 and it just had its third failure. The first was a melted voice coil and the second was a friend amp. Now, it goes out of stand-by, then immediately back in, which makes me think a capacitor failed, but haven't taken it apart yet.

So my question is repair or replace and with what? There are no service centers nearby and I'm afraid that this is just an unreliable model that will fail again in a couple years if I fix it.

My room is 15' wide and 13' deep with 10' ceilings. The rest of the set-up is a pair of JBL L890s, an LC2 and two pairs of L820s with a Denon AVRX2100W receiver. I'd liek to keep the budget below $1000. A lo t below if possible. Would I be better off getting one sub that uses my whole budget or a pair of cheaper subs?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    JBL never made a sub that was worth a flip. Any of the cheapest subs from SVS, Hsu, Rythimik or Power Sound will blow your JBL away.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DaveF likes this.
  3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I would buy one good quality sub, rather than two cheap ones. Another sub could always be added later for more kick, but, as far as it goes, I, personally, would buy the best sub I could afford within my allotted budget; however, in my case, a grand would be the minimum budget when it comes to looking at subwoofers.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    With a $1,000 budget you can build subs that will outperform any sub named in this thread. That is if you have a few power tools and the basic knowledge to build a box.

5. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Agree with Robert. He helped me a lot when I built my Dayton 15. I can't imagine anyone needing more than it will do, and I think I have around $500 in it.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    DaveF and David Willow like this.
  7. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Auditioning

Craig Rogers
    Add my vote for Hsu as well. $1000 is more than enough to spend from them. I'd wager their $799 VTF-3 would thrill you.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

:D Congrats, Robert!

And many thanks for all the expertise you've offered in these pages over all those years! :thumbsup:

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Thanks for the advice. I had an Energy AS-90 as a backup and am currently using it until I can get something decent.

10. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Wow. I feel like the newbie around you guys. :)

Robert commented (and helped me) on my first ever post here at HTF way back in 2004. Thanks again.

To the OP: Your room is a little smaller than mine and I love overkill, so I went with a couple SVS subs (one would have been plenty but I figure the neighbors need to enjoy it too :D ). I went with 2 PC-12 Plus's which would be just outside your price range ($1200 each). Sometimes they have B stock that is a lot cheaper. The PC-2000 is within your range and I have no doubt it would sound great in your room.

11. Luke Cool

Luke Cool Stunt Coordinator

Joe
    I own a SVS PB2000. It impresses all that hear it. At $800, it's a steal.