What's new

Sub died: Replacement advice (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I have a JBL L8400P. I got it in April 2009 and it just had its third failure. The first was a melted voice coil and the second was a friend amp. Now, it goes out of stand-by, then immediately back in, which makes me think a capacitor failed, but haven't taken it apart yet.

So my question is repair or replace and with what? There are no service centers nearby and I'm afraid that this is just an unreliable model that will fail again in a couple years if I fix it.

My room is 15' wide and 13' deep with 10' ceilings. The rest of the set-up is a pair of JBL L890s, an LC2 and two pairs of L820s with a Denon AVRX2100W receiver. I'd liek to keep the budget below $1000. A lo t below if possible. Would I be better off getting one sub that uses my whole budget or a pair of cheaper subs?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would buy one good quality sub, rather than two cheap ones. Another sub could always be added later for more kick, but, as far as it goes, I, personally, would buy the best sub I could afford within my allotted budget; however, in my case, a grand would be the minimum budget when it comes to looking at subwoofers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With a $1,000 budget you can build subs that will outperform any sub named in this thread. That is if you have a few power tools and the basic knowledge to build a box.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Agree with Robert. He helped me a lot when I built my Dayton 15. I can't imagine anyone needing more than it will do, and I think I have around $500 in it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Craig Rogers

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Rogers
Add my vote for Hsu as well. $1000 is more than enough to spend from them. I'd wager their $799 VTF-3 would thrill you.

I have a JBL L8400P. I got it in April 2009 and it just had its third failure. The first was a melted voice coil and the second was a friend amp. Now, it goes out of stand-by, then immediately back in, which makes me think a capacitor failed, but haven't taken it apart yet.

So my question is repair or replace and with what? There are no service centers nearby and I'm afraid that this is just an unreliable model that will fail again in a couple years if I fix it.

My room is 15' wide and 13' deep with 10' ceilings. The rest of the set-up is a pair of JBL L890s, an LC2 and two pairs of L820s with a Denon AVRX2100W receiver. I'd liek to keep the budget below $1000. A lo t below if possible. Would I be better off getting one sub that uses my whole budget or a pair of cheaper subs?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice. I had an Energy AS-90 as a backup and am currently using it until I can get something decent.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/dayton-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-build.291128/

That thread brought back a few memories. I am still using the same subs I mentioned in that thread and they are still pounding on a daily basis. In fact since we moved our elliptical into the back of the theater room, the subs get a workout every weekday.

Finally, I missed my 17th anniversary yesterday as a member of this forum. I think this may be the first forum I joined.

Wow. I feel like the newbie around you guys. :)

Robert commented (and helped me) on my first ever post here at HTF way back in 2004. Thanks again.

To the OP: Your room is a little smaller than mine and I love overkill, so I went with a couple SVS subs (one would have been plenty but I figure the neighbors need to enjoy it too :D ). I went with 2 PC-12 Plus's which would be just outside your price range ($1200 each). Sometimes they have B stock that is a lot cheaper. The PC-2000 is within your range and I have no doubt it would sound great in your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks