What's new

Sub Decision: Opinions Please (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Hi, I'm in the process of buying my home theatre. As of now it consists of a Kenwood 509 reciever, Paradigm Monitor 5's up front, Paradigm Titan's as rears, a cc-370 as a center. I'm trying to decide between a Paradigm PS-1000 or a Velodyne CT-100. They are both in the same price range, but sadly I cannot do a side by side comparison, as they are in different parts of the city, and I find it hard judging unless they are side by side under the same conditions and equiptment. I like the sound of the Paradigm from limited (very limited) listening, and I like the idea of matching my speaker setup, but I've a LOT of praise for the Velodyne, as well as comments such as the PS-1000 isen't very good for music. Both are 10" sub's. I will be listening to a lot of music with this sub, but there will be a fair share of DVD's as well. ANy opnions and advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Do either stores offer a 30-day money back guarentee so you can make some in-home evaluation of the subs? That's really the only way you are going to find out which sub is best for you.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Just a guess, but I'd think the ct100 would extend a bit deeper...with the PS1000 having more *oomph* factor >35hz.
ONECALL had a good sale on CT series VELs recently, I'd check with them...you might be able to move up to a ct120 for the same price.
TV

Hi Scott, congratz on the new home theater. As far as a sub goes if I were you I would wait and save my money for a better sub then the 2 you have mentioned. The paradigm PW2200 is a great sub for the money and would probably make you happier in the long run. I know it's hard to wait but for some things it is worth it.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Thanks to everybody for the advice, much appriciated.
I guess I will have to see if there is a 30 day return policy, so I could try them side by side. I don't see any other way to try them, as it's about an hour drive between locations, and I can't compare like that ( as well as the Velodyne dealer doesn't carry Paradigm's, which is what I want to compare with.)
As for saving up for a bigger sub, well, I've been saving my money just to get the system so far, it's not easy being a collage student with a crappy job =) But I guess I will save up a bit more, and go with something bigger. The sub isen't "that" important right now, so I don't mind another month or so of waiting to be able to get a bigger one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks