1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sub Decision: Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Bourden, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Hi, I'm in the process of buying my home theatre. As of now it consists of a Kenwood 509 reciever, Paradigm Monitor 5's up front, Paradigm Titan's as rears, a cc-370 as a center. I'm trying to decide between a Paradigm PS-1000 or a Velodyne CT-100. They are both in the same price range, but sadly I cannot do a side by side comparison, as they are in different parts of the city, and I find it hard judging unless they are side by side under the same conditions and equiptment. I like the sound of the Paradigm from limited (very limited) listening, and I like the idea of matching my speaker setup, but I've a LOT of praise for the Velodyne, as well as comments such as the PS-1000 isen't very good for music. Both are 10" sub's. I will be listening to a lot of music with this sub, but there will be a fair share of DVD's as well. ANy opnions and advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Do either stores offer a 30-day money back guarentee so you can make some in-home evaluation of the subs? That's really the only way you are going to find out which sub is best for you.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Just a guess, but I'd think the ct100 would extend a bit deeper...with the PS1000 having more *oomph* factor >35hz.
    ONECALL had a good sale on CT series VELs recently, I'd check with them...you might be able to move up to a ct120 for the same price.
    TV

4. Derek Lauzon

Derek Lauzon Extra

Hi Scott, congratz on the new home theater. As far as a sub goes if I were you I would wait and save my money for a better sub then the 2 you have mentioned. The paradigm PW2200 is a great sub for the money and would probably make you happier in the long run. I know it's hard to wait but for some things it is worth it.

5. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Thanks to everybody for the advice, much appriciated.
    I guess I will have to see if there is a 30 day return policy, so I could try them side by side. I don't see any other way to try them, as it's about an hour drive between locations, and I can't compare like that ( as well as the Velodyne dealer doesn't carry Paradigm's, which is what I want to compare with.)
    As for saving up for a bigger sub, well, I've been saving my money just to get the system so far, it's not easy being a collage student with a crappy job =) But I guess I will save up a bit more, and go with something bigger. The sub isen't "that" important right now, so I don't mind another month or so of waiting to be able to get a bigger one.