Sub crossover point for use with Paradigm Mini Monitors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_H, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

All,
    I recently got a pair of Mini Monitors to replace my aging Infinity main speakers. These had been paired with a Sony SA-WM40 sub. I'm loving the way the speakers sound, but the sub is starting to sound a little boomy to me. I'm thinking I might not have the crossover set right on the sub, and I was looking for suggestions...
    According the the spec sheet for the Mini Monitors, they have a "Low Frequency Extension" of 40Hz, with a freq. response of "On Axis (0°) ±2dB from 56Hz - 20kHz / Off Axis (30°) ±2dB from 56Hz - 18kHz". The Sony's crossover is a knob labeled 50-170 Hz. The sub is hooked up to a sub out from my older Yamaha receiver, so it's receiving the

2. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

Hi Brett,

I have series 1 Mini Monitors and a Velodyne CT-120 sub. If you are using a stereo receiver without a high-pass filter, as I am, I've found that the sub sounds best when low-pass filtered around 60-70Hz. It depends on the room. I find that the Mini Monitors extend somewhere between 45 and 60Hz, depending on the room, but setting a higher crossover was still fine.

If the Sony is not a good subwoofer, it will sound boomy compared to the bass of the mini monitors, regardless of x-over. You should try to get bass that is of the same quality / fidelity of the mains. Basically you have to experiment & see what sounds best. I think bass is very problematic in most rooms, boosting some frequencies in some parts of the room, and absorbing other frequencies. Consider an external x-over like the Paradigm X-30 if you need to hi-pass the mains due to overlapping bass.

-Cooper

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This sub tends to be boomy by design. Try moving it to a new location, preferably further from a corner.

If your x-over is 200Hz, you should set the Sony to it's max and let the receiver handle the x-over. If you turn the Sony's x-over down, you will cascade it and possibly create a gap or dip in frequencies.

With the Minis crossed over at 200Hz, you are missing out on most of what they are capable of. They would be better served with an x-over of ~100Hz or lower.

Your other option, and in this case I would recommend it, is to hook up the sub via speaker level input, and then feed the Minis via the sub's high passed x-over (which I believe is fixed at either 120 or 150Hz, which is still lower than your receiver's) and set the mains to large and sub=no. 200Hz seems very high for a x-over point, I would check on that again.

4. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

I have the smaller Sony SA-WM20, which I guess is roughly comparable in design. It seems to be at it's best using just its lower freguency range and with its volume turned down low. I'm currently using it with other speakers set "large", receiver sub out set to PLUS/BOTH, sub xover at 50Hz, sub volume at about 1/4 up from zero. Do try lowering the sub's volume and xover controls to get rid of the boom.
    Judging from others' comments on the SA-WM40, I don't think it has to sound boomy. There are some extensive suggestions about setting it up among the user reviews at http://www.audioreview.com .

5. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

John & all,

I think my original post was a little confusing. The way I understand this receiver (Yamaha RXV-870, Pro-Logic only; no DD, no DTS) to work is that even with something hooked up to the "sub out" jack a full range signal is still being sent to the mains. There is no provision for setting the size of the speakers, except for the center channel which has settings of Normal (full-range), Wide (low frequencies sent to mains), and Phantom. Also, the Sony has a high pass filter that is adjustable from 50-170 Hz, as labeled on the adjustment knob. Unfortunately, I didn't get a manual with the sub since I bought it open box from Best Buy, and there is no manual for download on Sony's site.

I suppose placement could play a large part in this, but for reasons of WAF I think it has to stay where it's at: corner loaded with the post about 8" from the wall. I could probably get away with moving the port a little further away, if that will help.

I remember I stuffed it with polyfil when I first bought it, but then the driver blew (not related to the polyfil, I think it was because it was an open box item and had probably been beat on...). I removed the stuffing when I took it to have it repaired, and I honestly can't remember if I re-stuffed it when I got it back. I'll have to look into that as I remember it having a positive effect on the sound before...

Assuming that the mains are receiving a full-range signal and that they roll off around 40-60 Hz, is that the same area where I'll want to set the crossover on the sub?

Thanks,
    -Brett.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John