sub connection...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by travisPL, Mar 7, 2006.

1. travisPL

travisPL Auditioning

hi, the new svs should arrive tomorrow

i just have one quick question, i have the RM6900 system w/ onkyo tx-sr503
    and from the RM6900 manual they recommend that i use the front speakers wire to connect to the sub instead of the preout subwoofer connection.

now with the svs Pb12isd do i have to do the samething or most of you guys connect the sub with receiver through the 'Preout subwoofer' cable?

2. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya Travis,

I just got my PB12+ too, and I connect it straight thru the AVR's sub out. But if you look thru the Svs Manual you can connect Front L or R channel to sub then to your speaker. BTW is your speakers, small sats? Sorry not familiar with your rm6900 thingy

Regards.
    DavidSGT

3. travisPL

travisPL Auditioning

Hi, how does ur SVS sound? can't wait to test it [​IMG]

its the POLK audio RM6900 and yes its small satellite speakers.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Connect it through the sub out on the Onkyo. Polk has been suggesting you hook the sub through the speaker wires for a while, but this suggestion is long out of date. Just get an RCA to RCA cable and hook it up via the sub lineout.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Polk recommends that because their smaller satellites can't handle a lot of bass and that generally gives you a better blend for the main speakers - with the system set to sub=none and mains large. The bad news is, whichever way you hook it up (and this is the case with all small satellite speakers), you end up with a high crossover and the sub is easy to localize and some of the critical lower midrange is now being handled by the sub which it shouldn't be.

With the PB-12, you will definitely want to hook it up via the sub pre-out and let the receiver handle the x-over. I've heard the 6900 and the main speakers aren't actually too bad for the price.

6. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya Travis,

Well my Pb12+ is worth every hard earned ct. and you won't regret your purchase and when its time to upgrade, I bet you, you'll be eyeing the higher SVS's as well. It is well made, the finish is smooth (mine is the textured black couldn't ante the extra 200 for the rosewood)and you get to play around with the port holes/ different freq. output as well( as every toy, urmm, sub should).

To add on your query, I guess you can hook up by sub out thru rca first see how you like it and then try with the line in(speaker cables),whichever one sounds better to you is the way to go...

Enjoy...

Regards.
    DavidSGT