Sub Configuration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miklsan K, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

I think I caught the DIY bug from you guys and I want to build a sub (or two). I have two plate amps rated at about 150 watts each, and would like to build one or two subs that provide a noticeable improvement over my current Infinity BU120. The room is about 12x25 (long) with 9 foot ceilings. With the plate amps I want to use, I know I will need something fairly efficient. No wife,so no WAF to deal with (yet). I would appreciate any help or guidence. Suggestions?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    First, welcome to the Forum!

I’m afraid you’re on the loosing end of acoustical laws with this one, Miklsan. You probably need 150 watts or more per sub in a room this size.

The problem with “efficient” subs is they really don’t get very low unless you have them in a really big box – I’m talking half the size of a refrigerator here. Don’t think that will go over big with the Mrs.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

If those amps are 150 W @ 8 Ohms, you should be OK running a Tempest with each one. I would build a twin Tempest enclosure and mount the amps in seperate boxes for future use of a bigger stand-alone amp. There's lots of threads devoted to Tempest applications, so a search should get you started.

Pete

4. Don't forget about the maelstrom. They are pretty darn efficient. Heck, use one amp per coil!

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well the two options I would recommend are either a pair of Shiva/Dayton DVC 12" drivers or a pair of Tempests like Pete recommended.

The 12" drivers I would put in 140L enclosures tuned to 18hz with a 4" flared port.

I'd put the Tempest's in 280-320L enclosures tuned to 16-18hz with a 6" port.

In either case if you wanted you could combine them into a single larger enclosure and use the same tuning. 240-300L for the pair of Shiva/DVC's with a single 6" port. 480-500L+ with a pair of 6" ports for the Tempests.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Gee, I feel stupid. For some reason I saw 50 watts, not 150 watts. Sorry.

Regardless, Miklsan, listen to Dustin -- I think he's on the right track.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

Thanks to all for the input. I am glad to see that these suggestions are along the lines of where I was headed anyway. While I work for an electronics retailer, I think it will be fun to get back into DIY. I used to be heavily into competition car audio, and even sold mid/high-end home before that. Now that I am back on the home side, it is time to update the theater system! One more question: where can I acquire some Aeroport (flared ports) for a good price?