What's new

Sub comparison (1 Viewer)

GalenC

Auditioning
New to the forum, about to buy first home theatre. I'm leaning towards an Athena setup, using the AS-F2's as my mains, with a Yamaha receiver.

My main question surrounds the Athena 10" AS-P400 subwoofer. I've listened to the smaller 8" AS-P300 and was not really pleased. Nobody around here has the P400 to listen to. My other option would be to go with the 12" JBL Studio S120PII. I can get the JBL for about $60 more than the Athena. I've heard the JBL and liked it.

Opinions on the Athena vs the JBL?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Well I haven't heard the Athena, but I bought the Jbl sub and it was a damn good sub. But when I bought it it was $730 including tax. I had it for about a week took it back and bought the SVS 25-31pci haven't looked back. The jbl was good, but the svs blew it away and it was $130 cheaper!!

dean_g

Agent
Size matters, it's simple math. Why anyone would opt for anything besides SVS is a complete mystery to me. If you want high output AND low distortion -- get yerself a big ass tube.

Hey Marcus, what's up with "Somebody shoot me! Before I upgrade again!"

Man, I was thinking it's more like, "Hope I get my next upgrade before somebody shoots me"!! Upgrading is half the fun.

GalenC

Auditioning
Well, I can get the Athena and the JBL at a steep discount in price. The SVS would be twice the price. I'm still debating to go with the Athena speakers or the JBL Studio line as well, they'd be about the same price.

Alan M

Second Unit
I own the athena P-2 sub.For its size,its an outstanding sub.Clean clear bass without distortion or boominess and it goes down to 25hz.
I havent heard the model 400,but if the P-2 is any indication,I'd say go athena.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks