Sub choice

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg Kerber, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Greg Kerber

Greg Kerber Extra

Hope I can get some guidance on a sub woofer choice. I know SVS is beloved on this forum but this is not an option due to $ (importing to Canda)and/or size. I am auditioning 2 subs Paradigm PS1000 and a Mirage OM-200 (the omnipolar one). I can get them for same price, I listen to probably 65/35 music to HT and I put a higher priority on smooth tight bass rather than something just to piss off the neighbors, however I still do want want to feel some good shaking vibes for movies. Room is about 20ft by 20 ft standard ceiling. The Mirage has minimal reviews but the main one I have found used the the Paradigm PW-2200 as comparison and gave it a very positive review. For the PS1000 I have seen both good and so so reviews. Appreciate any input from those with expertise or those who have heard these subs. I find it much harder to compare subs than regular speakers and am having a hard time picking one.
    Thanks,

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

In a 3200ft3 room the PS1000 or OM-200 may leave you lacking. If you can pick up a used sub in the PW series they are worth the step up in the Paradigm line.

I have not heard HSU subs but they now have a Canadian distributor and are spoken of highly on a number of forums:
    http://www.hi-fidelity.com/DVDCases.htm
    You may find local dealers by calling the number on their website.

SVS is cost prohibitive due to Border fees and exchange as you say in your original post.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I think I saw somewhere that SVS was working on a Canadian distribution.

But in the meantime - tough call, just based on what I see at the Mirage and Paradigm websites. The Mirage is a more thoughtful design – dual woofers and heavy-duty construction (two sides 1-1/ 2”, two sides 3 /4”), all of which makes the Mirage more than 15 lbs. heavier (heavy is never bad, IMO). Theoretically, two 8” should outperform one 10.”

The 10” Paradigm appears to be a bandpass design - ugh. Yet, it seems to get rave reviews in even the hi-fi publications posted on Paradigm’s site.

Like I said, tough call, not being able to hear them first-hand. If you could bring them home for an audition, that would be ideal. If you really like “tight” bass, you might look into one of M&K’s sealed designs.

Keep in mind that both subs are on the small side for your room, but if you’re in an apartment that’s probably what you want anyway.

Regards,
    Wayne

4. Greg Kerber

Greg Kerber Extra

Thanks for the input folks, I am auditioning the 2 of them, any suggestions on best way to compare directly. Suggestions on music or movies to use and what exactly should I be listening for to ID the faults or positives of either sub?

Thanks again,

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

The PS1000 is real loud - the overriding 'sentiment' on Audioreview.com (large pinches of salt, as always) is that it's a little slow and boomy when it comes to music and probably does much better for movies. Apparently v4 is better at music than the older models as well.

I don't find it slow, but there was a 60Hz peak in the FR curve for my room which I've killed with a BFD. So it's just awesome now for me, at both music and movies.

6. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

I just built Gr-research PR subs and am very happy with them. I used to have a Tempest that was in an Aidre Alignment enclosure that rocked for H/T (tuned to 16hz) but I thought the bass was slow for Music. Enter the GR sub, very musical, fast and tight, and for H/T it holds up -3db@20hz and I have 2 of these[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I used to have an Axiom system w/ upgraded crossover (soniccaps,mills,etc..) then had the itch to upgrade and went the DIY route, I then purchased aht A/V3,A/V3s, and A/V1RS along with 2 subs and the Axioms can't lay a hand on these.

7. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Paul/Greg,

I don't know about cost prohibitive bit. Shipping is slightly more expensive, since most Canadian provinces are some distance from our Ohio factory, but it's not all that much different than say, California.

There's a small brokerage fee but the rest (taxes, exchange rate etc) are what you are used to for any item, depending on if it's a locally made product or not. It's all NAFTA compliant stuff.

We send many MANY subwoofers to Canada, to us it might as well BE California. Heck our amps come to our factory from Toronto so in some ways you are just gettting a bit of Ontario in your home theater ;^)

No hard sell, just wanted you to know we routinely ship to your neck of the woods virtually every day.

Ron
    SVS