What's new

Sub Choice: Make A Homemade One? Or Go With My Exisitng SVS 20-29PC? (1 Viewer)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
I have been wanting more bass especially, since I have been building a dedicated Screening Room in my big basement.

Questions: Which might be better for my tastes I'm looking for low bass, but I still want to be able to use my 20-39PC?

What problems and dips in frq. will I experience with the homemade one?

I have picked out some snazzy chrome spikes, but is the design at the bottom of the SVS sub better?

I am looking at Adire Audio Mealstrom and Tempest drivers, can both be downfired?

With my present SVS is it wasteful or dumb to make another sub that will be better and throw the $700 I paid for SVS away?

Thank You

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
John,
Why not add another 20-39? I have dual 25-31's and there is definetly a difference between one and two subs. If you have a large room then two subs are definetly the way to go. If you add a different type of sub than your 20-39 you might experience some cancellation effects(someone correct me if i am wrong). As they say, two subs are better than one(at least that's what i say:))

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
If you add a different type of sub than your 20-39 you might experience some cancellation effects(someone correct me if i am wrong)
You are absolutly right. But isnt the Outlaw ICBM made to regulate the bass? I mean supply the high frequencies to my 20-39 PC and the low frequencies to my homemade(better on I hope :) )sub?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There's no doubt that DIY can yield performance far beyond what a similar investment might in a commercial product. But,as John points out, it does take time, and is definitely more of a hassle than just pulling out a credit card (not sure how he arrived at the efficiency conclusion, though...acoustic/electric, or time?).

With either of the drivers you mentioned, the enclosure would have to be appreciably bigger than what you've got. If you're serious about the Maesltrom, you could wind up with a sub which would eat just about any other for lunch (and be much more efficient), but I'd want at least 350 liters for it.

Stroll through the DIY forum, and the "Projects" link at the top, for some info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks