What's new

Sub Calibration (1 Viewer)

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
After you have calibrated your sub to read 85db (using AVIA) to match the level of the other speakers, when you adjust the volume on the receiver for normal listening, isn't the sub now louder than the rest of the speakers?

Should I be calibrating at the normal listening level instead, so that the sub's volume level remains at the same level as the rest of the speakers?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The sub outpul level is controlled by the master volume just as the speker outputs. It should stay the same level as the mains no mater what volume you use.

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
That was a quick and precise reply :).
My situation is a little peculiar. When calibrating for HT, I use the 5.1 inputs on my pre-amp and all the bass mgmt is done on the DVD player. When listening to music through the CD inputs on my pre-amp, I use the 80Hz Xover on the pre-amp.
Does your answer hold for both these situations?
Thanks Jeff.

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Ranga,

You're probably feeling bass is too loud after calibration because you have one or more strong resonant peaks in your room. If your sub is in a corner, try moving it around to see if things improve. For the ultimate solution, do a search on "BFD".

Rgds.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Simple way to test this with your SPL meter and Avia:

Calibrate as close as you can with your calibration disc. Avia I guess. Play the test tones used for calibration. they should all read about 85dB right? Do it again at several different volume points. Try 75dB or 80dB or 70dB. if they still all measure the same, your master volume is consistant with the sub output level and the speaker outputs. If not, then you may want to just calibrate at your normal listening level (say it's 75dB on Avia) just calibrate your speakers and sub to the same level using your normal listening volume on your receiver. That way you are right on at your normal listening level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks