What's new

Sub Calibration with an SPL Meter (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

It's a "rumble" tone - a combination of bass frequencies, but mostly centered around 40-45 Hz. If you really wanted to know what it looked like, you would need to run a RTA spectral analysis of it.

The RS meter is c-weighted, and will read progressively lower as the frequency drops. Since the rumble tone is a bunch of different frequencies, it would be hard to assign "one" correction factor for it. But since it is largely centered around 40-45 Hz, the commonly accepted CF for the typical rumble tone is about 2-3 dB.

I could tell you exactly what the CF is for the rumble tone from my AVR 3803. All I would have to do is mount my test rig mic and my B&K SPL meter mic right next to each other in the near-field sub measurement location and run the test tone and compare the total SPL from the RTA display (which is unweighted) to the total SPL from the B&K meter (which is c-weighted). The difference will be the CF, but it would only be valid for the 3803.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
That's fine. I'm just gonna run out and get a calibration DVD once I order my SVS. What's the best calibration dvd to get without breaking my wallet ? :)

Sorry to go off-topic slightly.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I have used Avia, DVE, and S&V. I own Avia and DVE. I don't use DVE for subwoofer calibration, for well publicized reasons. And the DVE navigation is just terrible IMO.

DVE is good for setting rear channel level(s) for 6.1 and 7.1, but so is S&V.

The rear channel level(s) can still be accurately set (probably to within 1 dB) even if you only own Avia (which is strictly 5.1). Just calibrate all five channels to 85 dB with Avia at Master Volume 0.0. Then without touching anything, run the internal test tones on the AVR. Say (for example), they all read about 78 dB. Just adjust the rear surround(s) to 78 dB and you will be very close. I tend to run my rear surrounds a bit on the hot side anyway.

Overall, Avia is still my preference and worth the premium IMO. But S&V would be my value choice for less than $20.

Ed

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Ed,

Based on what I have read in both this thread, and those referenced, can I safely draw the following conclusion: I just entered the calibration game with DVE, and found pretty much the same thing. All of my channels, sans sub, balanced at 75dB just fine, but when it came to the sub, it buried the needle. I am using Radio Shack's analog sound meter. So, am I correct in that I can calibrate the other channels to 75dB just fine using DVE, but for the sub I should start at approx 10dB higher at 85dB, and adjust to preference (+13dB - 3dB RS LFE error)? Thanks!

Derek
------------------------------
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does
not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who
prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to
operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

No OAR -- NO SALE!!!

"This screen has been formatted to fit your movie."

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
S&V is good for calibrating all speakers except the sub. It tells you to do it by ear. If you use a spl meter...it won't be right.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Wow - what a surprise. DVE buries the needle on sub calibration. :b

My recommendation for DVE is 75/88, as read on the meter. That, in my experience (i.e., my room, my rig), is actually a bit undercalibrated for the sub. Your results may vary, and I do recommend you try the internal test tones and/or S&V and compare to DVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks