Sub Calibration...Quick Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Danner, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

I tried searching but didnt see anything that specifically answered my question.

I have calibrated with the rat shack meter and DVE. Now I want to plot my subs response on a chart. Do I play the test tones at ref (0) or do I play them at the normal level that I would listen to a movie (-15). I started at ref level and man it feels like I am in the ring with Tyson. The sub is a PB12-isd/2. So I am guessing that I need to turn it down a tad bit. No bad noises were heard like bottoming out so the sub handled it okay. Granted the test tones that I played I paused after about 4 seconds because it was shaking the whole neighborhood. Dogs started barking like 4 doors down from me. hehe

Oh the sub is factory tuned so I have not changed that and here are the results of what I tested. I didnt go too far because it was soooo loud. Below are the corrected values from my SPL meter.
    89.0 - 16 hz
    92.5 - 18
    98.5 - 20
    101.5 - 22
    100.0 - 25
    104.0 - 28
    106.0 - 31.5
    107.5 - 36

2. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Normally calibration is done at 70-80dB. Playing test tones at high volumes can cause permanent damage to: ears, fine china, house foundations, subwoofers.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Don't be surprized if the curve comes out very uneven. Thats not your sub, thats your room. If you want to fix it, enter the wonderful world of the BFD.

b

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

You've got that entirely too loud to be testing with sine waves. Usually most will start at 80hz-100hz with the 1/12th octave tones and go downwards. I start at 80hz, adjust volume to 80dB and then go from there, you should get much higher than 85dB unless you have a real nasty peak.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Enter the even more wonderful world of room acoustics. Bass treatment is always helpful, and is a more thorough solution when used in conjunction with EQ like a BFD, because EQ alone cannot fix certain frequency response problems, nor time domeain problems.

6. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

"Enter the even more wonderful world of room acoustics. Bass treatment is always helpful, and is a more thorough solution when used in conjunction with EQ like a BFD, because EQ alone cannot fix certain frequency response problems, nor time domeain problems."

Chris, you married? [​IMG]
    My HT is in my livingroom and SWMBO says I can have the bass treatments after the divorce. Of course, after the divorce I won't be able to afford bass treatments so I guess it ain't gonna happen. But that's great advice for the "lucky" ones.

David