What's new

Sub calibration question (1 Viewer)

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys!

When I am setting the level of my sub using AVIA and the rat shack meter, do I set it at 85 dB or just a few dB lower? I have heard you should set it a few dB lower, but in the SVS manual they say to set it at same level of the other speakers. I do use the right speaker for the sub level and I switch the meter to 90 to get a more stable reading of 85 dB. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Thats hard to say because the rat shack meter is quirky. Actually many people(including myself) start by calibrating to 85db and then adjust by ear for your taste. I know a lot of people like to run the sub hot as do I. Watch a couple bass intensive movies or listen to bass intensive music (which ever your pref) and then adjust by ear. I personally run about 4-5db hots for some added effect.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ryan. I have my sub at about 85 according to the radio shack meter and it sounds really good. I set my sub level to +6 on my receiver to activate the auto on feature of the sub per Tom V. recommendation. I might turn up the sub a little bit on the receiver to see what the extra dB's will do.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Actually I just realized that most of what I told you was worthless. I didnt catch what you were getting at with Avia. Im guessing you actually new all of what I posted. My bad!!

Hi Patrick,
I see a key phrase in your earlier post.
"I have my sub at about 85 according to the radio shack meter and it sounds really good."
If it sounds good to you I think that you have done a good job.
For your information.
The RS meter is not accurate in the subs range < 80 Hz. When you are measuring 85db with this meter, < 80 Hz, you are most likely at 88db.
IMO set your sub at the level that best suites your taste. You are the only that you must please.
Welcome and enjoy your system.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
Well I set my meter at 90 and then calibrate the sub to 85 having the needle bounce between -6 and -4 to average it to 85. Is that the right way to do it? And if it is, dose that mean the sub is at 85 db and not something like 88 dB?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks