What's new

Sub Calibration Question (1 Viewer)

Arron H

Second Unit
Is the LFE channel effected at all when you set the sub level to the levels of the mains using a calibration disc like the S&V disc, VE, Avia? I have my LFE at 0 (the highest possible setting allowed for my Yamaha RXV-1200). I have matched the sub level on the Yamaha to the level of the left main using the S&V tune-up disc (-18.0 on the Yamaha). Is the LFE effected at all by doing this or does it remain unchanged? It seems like it would remain unchanged as the .1 channel acting independently from the other 5 channels but I'm not quite clear on this. Can someone please clarify?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The sub level volume control in your Yamaha will equally control the overall level of both the LFE channel and any surround bass that is low passed to the subwoofer.

The individual LFE channel level adjustment control affects the strength of the LFE channel relative to the strength of the low-passed bass from the other channels.

This separate LFE level control is often referred to as the LFE trim control, the LFE attenuation control, or the LFE dynamic range control.

It should be left at full strength for normal HT use. If you want to get fancy, you can adjust it for supposed LFE mastering differences in DD vs. DTS.

Also, if you discover you are overloading your subwoofer when all your surround speakers are high passed, you can drop the relative level of the LFE channel to the sub and ease the load a bit.

Your Yamaha owner's manual should confirm this, and feel free to solicit other interpretations, but that is how most conventional bass management circuits work which employ a separate LFE level control in addition to the normal sub level control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks