What's new

sub calibration question RE: Crown CE1000 gain (1 Viewer)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i purchased a crown CE1000 to run my SVS 20-39CS+ and was just wondering where other people have the gain control set after calibration.

right now i have it about halfway after calibrating by ear. my friend will be returning my SPL meter and calibration disc soon and i will be calibrating it correctly and i just wanted an idea of where to start.

also in general, i have read some different methods to calibrate. once i read that pro-amps are made to have the gain turned all the way up (to let the mixer/reciever control the level). ive also read that you should turn the recievers sub level to -4 and then adjust the gain accordingly, and also to just turn the gain to 1/4-1/3 and adjust through through the reciever.

needless to say, im a bit confused and would love some clarification on the calibration on this. i also felt that the subwoofer forum was more appropriate than the amps forum (though i did originally start typing this up for that forum).

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
where other people have the gain control set after calibration.
Your gain control should be set to maximum. Calibrate the sub by adjusting the Sub output on your preamp or receiver. If you cannot get the level low enough using this manner THEN adjust the gain on your amp. The gain control is what determines how much of the voltage from the preamp gets to the amp stage. Obviously you want as little in the way as possible. Enjoy!

- Dan Hine

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Basically a pro-amp is set to 100% and a plate-amp is set to 20-50%. I used to get confused about this also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks