Sub Cable

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MarkMel, Nov 19, 2003.

1. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Hi, New to this forum and have a question I hope someone can answer. Just installed my new Yamaha RX-V1400 and I want to hook up my sub. On my old yamaha, I did not have a sub out so, the b speaker outs were driving the sub. When I ran the wire, I ran 2 pair oxygen free cable under the floor to the sub. For my new reciever, I thought I'd try soldering some RCA plugs to a pair of the wires. The sub works but, I am now getting some 60hz hum. Is there anyway I can use the wire I have in the floor to go from my sub out to my sub? Or, am I going to have to run a sub wire? Is sub wire sheilded? Like coax?

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Yes, Sub cables are shielded.

Your best bet (and least expensive) is to use RG6 coax (for cable TV).

Go to Radio Shack or some such supplier and purchase copper centred (not copper plated) cable. You can purchase a CATV cable with F type ends attached, or get the screw on type connectors unless you have a crimper. They also sell an F type to RCA adapter so you can plug the ends into your sub and receiver.

Here's the link to the adapter:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=278-290

Go to Tweaking, Connections and Accessories and search 'Subwoofer Cable' for more info.

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

4. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Thanks everyone, I went with the RG-6 and now everything is very well.

Mark