sub cable use from car audio

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe DC, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Joe DC

Joe DC Agent

Is it ok to use one end of car audio RCA cable for my HT subwoofer hookup? I'm currently running 2 subwoofers in my HT. From my receiver I have one sub cable going to sub 1, then Y-split from there to another sub cable, then connected to a female end-to-end connector, then attached to one end of my car audio RCA cable to sub 2.

2. Joe DC

Joe DC Agent

To add further to my first thread, my sub 2 cable runs about 45ft. from sub 1. Sub 2 sound perfectly fine for me, but I'm curious to know if I am losing any signal this way, or otherwise. BTW, I'm using 2 25ft. Monster THX Ultra series sub cables and don't really want to spend the 'dosh' for another sub cable, esp. if I have some car audio cables hanging around. Any input??

3. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

If it sounds perfectly fine for you, then don't change it.

If you think it sounds good with what you are using, why change it?!

Only thing I could suggest to change to would be BlueJeans, Cobalt, or BetterCables cables...though I don't think you'd notice a mind blowing difference.

My thinking is you would only loose very very little with all the connections you you have. Best would be to run one cable, Y it to the two subs or Y them and run two cables...it's your call.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Anytime you split a signal there is naturally some loss in gain (signal strength), but it's not a problem. That's why sub output levels are adjustable, and why subs have input gain controls.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

I run 25 foot stinger car audio cable $26.99 with a y splitter and then run it to my 2 subs sounds great, in fact one of my friends brought over his $300 sub cable that is only 10 feet long and we did a spl check and what do you know not one db difference in any material we tried ever since then he sold it and did the same thing. speaker cable is a different story, i tried my wire $2 a foot to his pure copper wire and there was a pretty big difference, well anyway have a nice day[​IMG]