Sub Cable to a 20-39pc question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jassen M. West, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

With my old powered sub i had the cable running out of my receiver to a Y splitter and into both connections on the old sub. With the SVS the manual says i don't need to split it like that. My questions are,, can i split it into both?, will i damage the sub if i do?, and will it sound better?(not that it needs to sound better) BTW I love my 20-39pc i never knew how deep bass was in the movies i have. It just leaves me speechless.

thanks

---jay

2. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

You can split it though there is no reason to do so if you are running only 1 PC sub. Just the sub out on the receiver to the left line in on the PC amp. If you end up getting a second PC down the road, then you can split it at the receiver's sub out and run 1 cable to each PC amp's left line in.

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Well. Since is in the ballpark of what I needed to ask. Let me ask this way. I have a powered sub which I hook up from my sub-out on receiver. I just purchased a pair of floorstanding speakers also with powered woofers, the speaker has a LFE in/out ..SO.. Can I can just go receiver to sub1 in then from sub1 out to speaker lfe in??? ..OR.. Should I go receiver to speaker LFE in then from the Speaker lfe-out go to the SUB? I think the later would be better because if I run in stereo mode I can turn the SUB off... Yes?

P.S Why does my sub have speaker inputs/outputs?

4. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

Johnson, I'll take a shot at this. Since you have a dedicated subwoofer for LFE, I would not run the LFE line level through the powered towers. If you did not have a subwoofer, then I would, letting the subs in the speakers handle the LFE channel. What kind of sub do you have? Your sub's built in amp has speaker level interconnects to allow you to the run the left and right mains line levels(or surrounds if you wish) into the sub, and then speaker connections from your sub to your speakers. This will in effect make the shosen speakers full range(set to large) If you don't have a complete 5.1 system, then this may be something to consider. If you have a good 5.1 system with a good dedicated LFE subwoofer, I recommend setting all speakers to small and let the sub handle the bass. Hook up your sub just to the sub out on the receiver, set to on. Then experiment with your mains set to large and then to small and see which sound you prefer.