Sub Cable question??????????

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by EdFitz, Mar 24, 2006.

1. EdFitz

EdFitz Auditioning

Hello everyone,
    I have a question about a sub cable connection. I'm not sure about this cable. Is it the same as say RG-6 or RG-59 cable? How do i put another end on? I have a Monster sub cable with a broken outer casing, that has tape on it now. I own the tools for TV cable, RG-59 and RG-6, is this the same type of cable and where can i get ends for my sub cable?

Thanks,
    Ed Fitz

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

It's a 75-ohm cable, just like RG-6 and RG-59; in fact, you can use any composite video cable [or coaxial-digital audio cable, or one out of a bundle of component video cables] as a subwoofer cable. I have even used an antenna lead-in cable, although that's not such a great idea. Anyway, any "75-ohm" RCA connectors such as the ones you would use for making video cables will work. You can probably get one at Radio Shack if you don't have one.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You can try to cut the end off, install an ordinary CATV "F" connector, then get a "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptor from Radio shack. Just make sure you have a snug connection from the RCA plug to your subwoofer or output jack.

Any long audio cable will work for subwoofer frequencies (or audio). You only have to worry about the impedence (ohms) when you get up to the RF Frequencies or higher (video, coaxial digital, etc).

One thing to note: subwoofer cables with arrows on the outer jacket are constructed with a "broken shield". The center wire IS connected to the RCA plug. But the outer shield (foil or braid) is NOT. This is to prevent subwoofer hum. You might want to trim-back the foil/shield on the cable so it does not touch the "F" connector if you try my trick.

Hope this helps.