Sub cabinet

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris Ric, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Chris Ric

Chris Ric Auditioning

Does anyone know of a sub that has an all wood or plastic cabinet. One that isn't medium density fiberboard. This thread is continued from my last post about MDF.

Thanks-Again

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,

If you went with a sealed sub it wouldn't matter what material it was made of. Also, some manufacturers use pre-veneered MDF (veneered on both sides) so that even if it's a ported enclosure it would not have any raw MDF exposed either internally or externally.

Other than that, I'm not sure of any specific subs made of something other than MDF or particle board. Oh, there is the Krell MRS sub made of billet aluminum, but I assume you're not looking for a $25K sub![​IMG]

3. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

Arent SVS cylinders made out of some type of plastic?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You might want to contact Brian Bunge @ Rutledge Audio Design. He should be able to build a solid wood cabinet for you, to somewhat match the existing cabinet's specs.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you're not interested in a getting a box built by Brian, then the SVS cylinder subs don't use MDF. I do believe they still use a paper based tube similar to sonotube, but it's denser and thicker and has a polymer coating applied. The endcaps are made of baltic birch plywood. So bottom line is SVS shouldn't cause you a problem.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,

The tubes are some sort of plastic resin now I think. The caps are Baltic Birch if I remember correctly.

A cabinet could easily be made of baltic birch or even standard cabinet grade birch ply (not my first choice but it will work) and then apply a stain or dye.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yeah, saw that after posting...:b