What's new

Sub cabinet (1 Viewer)

Chris Ric

Auditioning
Does anyone know of a sub that has an all wood or plastic cabinet. One that isn't medium density fiberboard. This thread is continued from my last post about MDF.

Thanks-Again

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

If you went with a sealed sub it wouldn't matter what material it was made of. Also, some manufacturers use pre-veneered MDF (veneered on both sides) so that even if it's a ported enclosure it would not have any raw MDF exposed either internally or externally.

Other than that, I'm not sure of any specific subs made of something other than MDF or particle board. Oh, there is the Krell MRS sub made of billet aluminum, but I assume you're not looking for a $25K sub!:)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You might want to contact Brian Bunge @ Link Removed. He should be able to build a solid wood cabinet for you, to somewhat match the existing cabinet's specs.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you're not interested in a getting a box built by Brian, then the SVS cylinder subs don't use MDF. I do believe they still use a paper based tube similar to sonotube, but it's denser and thicker and has a polymer coating applied. The endcaps are made of baltic birch plywood. So bottom line is SVS shouldn't cause you a problem.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,

The tubes are some sort of plastic resin now I think. The caps are Baltic Birch if I remember correctly.

A cabinet could easily be made of baltic birch or even standard cabinet grade birch ply (not my first choice but it will work) and then apply a stain or dye.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks