What's new

Sub Bottoming Out? (1 Viewer)

Larry Marq

Grip
I've heard mention on this board of subs "bottoming out". I have a SVS 20-39pci. What are signs it's being pushed too hard? Does the speaker actually extend to the point of hitting the base plate, or does it refer to just driving it to beyond maximum extension. Is it audible? I've been messing with different listening levels, even ref for a bit on Star Wars I&II. It seems to be fine except for my wife being really pissed. Just don't want to jack it up...
Thanks, Larry

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I keep a few levels of checks that I listen out for signs of pushing it too hard....

In their order:

1) The cone excursion travels in & out so much its scary to see it like that.

2) The bass sounds different at high volumes than at low volumes (eg, it starts to "fart" occasionally at louder levels, where it never did at low levels)

3) Theres a distinct sound when it does bottom out. Distinct sound of metal stops within the driver hitting against each other. Ita a bone chilling sound, so best not to push it this far......

Ryan-Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I think i bottomed out my JBL PB12 once. I had just bought the new star wars episode 2 DVD. so i put it in and i didnt relize the volume was at 15 dbs higher than what i keep it at for movies. I went into the kitchen to get some ice cream while the yellow words part was going on. I took to long getting my food and the movie had started. all of the sudden i heard this weird and extremely loud sound. at first i thought the bass knocked something off a shelf and broke, but then i relized it was just the sub. so i turned it down to my regular volume and went back to see what it was. i was that part where that space ship flies by. thankfully there didnt seem to be any damage done. it was kind of scary though

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
When a sub bottoms out, the Voice Coil and Former (one unit)
strike the Backing Plate/T-Yoke. When this happens you will
hear a very loud and very distinct *Klack* sound.

Repeated bottoming can mushroom the Voice Coil Former and
in turn can warp the Voice Coil. When this happens the Voice
Coil will begin to rub the inside of the Motor Structure
(The Magnetic Gap) and you will hear a "scratchy" sound
that won't go away. As time goes on the scratching of the
Voice Coil against the Magnetic Gap will wear away the thin
Laquer Shelac coating on the Voice Coil and when this takes
place there will be a dead short and *Poof* your Sub
will go up in smoke.

Not good...

Capiche?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks