sub behind rptv

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by James Camm, Nov 4, 2003.

1. James Camm

James Camm Extra

hi guys, did a search but came up empty. Will I run into trouble if my sub is behind my tosh 51h83. My setup has to be in the corner of the room. I can either have it behind tv down at the point of the v at wall, or down further against the wall facing seating area( sub is sony wm40 ) can't remember full name. thx for the info .

2. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Long as the sub is far enuff away from the RPTV that it want distort the picture. The Sony sub is not M. Sheilded and it will make the picture funky because, the RPTV CRT's are at the bottom of the cabinet.

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

When I had an RPTV, my SVS subwoofer was about one to two feet away. I did not notice any distortion, but there seemed to be a problem involving the convergence. The covergence would drift, and about halfway through a movie, it would become noticeable. Whether it is due to the sub or merely a faulty TV, I will never know.

4. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I have this same setup, and had the same questions. I was told from several sources to go to a blank screen. (I go to a blue screen with no video input to it.) If you don't notice any discoloration or distortion, you should be ok. If I am wrong, I would love to know, because my sub is 6-12" from the back of the RPTV

Greg

5. James Camm

James Camm Extra

my other concern was with the front firing sub would it affect
    the tv as far as performance ,all the rattleling and shaking , making the gun allignment go out of whack . the reason i ask the sub is facing the back of the set about 6 to 8 inches away . any insight please thx.

6. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I have not had any problems at near reference levels. I have read about people having problems though.

7. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

You may want to try the side wall. I have the same setup, and found I got much better response on the side wall firing towards the listening position.