sub behind couch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew_walker, Jan 6, 2003.

1. andrew_walker

andrew_walker Auditioning

my HT is laid out like this:
    [ [
    [ couch [
    [ [
    do you think i would get better bass if i were to put my 8" sub behind the couch? (i prefer to have the room shake and really feel the base) I just think behind the couch would be better but im not an expert so thats why im asking you guys.sorry this diagram didnt work like i wanted it to, the pool table is off to the side, not inbetween the couch and tv.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you want the room to shake, you may actually have to upgrade the sub when you can (to a 12" would be my recommendation) but as for the location, there have been a efw that have done what you are asking. My only concern with doing this with an 8" sub would be being able to localize the sub (know where in the room it is by listening). If a room has only one sub, I usually suggest an up-front placement for most rooms where it will blend into the front soundstage and a bigger sub will still help to sjake the entire room from that location.

BTW, I am moving this to speakers/subwoofers.

3. Phil_Lunar

Phil_Lunar Stunt Coordinator

I am using a 8" sub(a passive sub powered by my old stereo amp 2X100) behind the couch and I have to admit that since I've made this move, it's been night and day compare to the base I fell now and when I was using it up front.

I've positionned it behind the couch facing the back wall, the front grid is like 6" from the wall(a concrete wall so this might help for bass dispertion)

I got very strong bass and I can't locate it at all.

I am currently buliding myselft a 16-46 Shiva sonotub sub, but until it will be finish, my old 8" behind the couch, will very much do!

4. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

If boomier bass is what you want I would suggest leaving it in the corner. Without knowing anything about your room characteristics, I think you would lose some boom by moving it behind the couch. However, you would probably get tighter, more accurate bass behind the couch.

All you really can do is try it and see what happens. If you have an SPL, recalibrate the sub after moving and then take some dB measurements.

Speaker placement is a trial and error process to find the spot that produces the sound you looking for.

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I had my sub behind my couch in my old house. I didn't like it.. it sounded too "disconnected" from the rest of the audio at times. And the couch itself actually damped some of the bass so the bass was different in different parts of the room.

If you do put it back there.. experiment with the 180° phase switch if you have one. I found switching the phase was a bit of an improvement.

6. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

I had my SVS in the back of the room, behind the seating positions. With my receiver's lowest crossover of 80Hz, I found the bass to be very localizable, so it was very distracting; especially when sitting in a seat closest to it. I now have it up front, in a corner, and it works much better.

Perhaps if my receiver had a crossover at 60 Hz, it would have worked better.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Andrew do you have a corner next to the end of the couch? I have found with a smaller sub>>> placement in my situation has been ideal with the sub close to the couch. If I put my bigger contenders in the same location it does not work out at all. A wall or corner close to the couch really helps out big time.

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer