Sub/bass causing screen interference?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_E, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

Just recently got the Sony SAWM40 subwoofer. While I'm still tweaking settings, it sounds awesome.
    One small problem: I've noticed on two movies (Air Force One - Superbit, and Planet of the Apes) that when there's deep thunderous bass, I get some bright blue horizontal lines flash on the screen as if it's interferenced caused by the bass or vibration or something.
    My sub is sitting right next to the home theater cabinet (you can see from pictures at the link below). The sub is also on the same surge-protector.
    Is it causing this because it's vibrating the TV? Or vibrating the DVD Player? Or what?
    If it's the DVD Player getting vibrated, I can move the sub to the other side of the cabinet...but for aesthetics and since it will require a longer cable and a lot of effort, I don't want to try that unless it's likely that's the problem.
    [​IMG]

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

It sounds like the sub's magnet which is causing the interferance. If so, there is no easy fix other than to move the sub. You should try this first. Place it in a different location or simply more it at least 2ft away and play the same scenes. Is it still there?

I was told by my sub manufacturer that the magnetic field increases at higher volumes, and this could explain why it's not there all the time. Some companies make magnetically shielded subs speccifically for placement close to TVs.

Best of luck,

--Steve

EDIT: I just reviewed the pics. Nice layout! If possible, try moving the sub all the way into the right hand corner and see if you still get the disturbace. I don't believe it's a shielded model, so it might fix your problem.

3. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

Wonderful! That's a fairly easy fix. I'll try that. thanks.

4. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I believe the Sony is shielded.

5. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

You could also try plugging in the sub to another power outlet. It could be that the sub is drawing a lot of power on high volume. (Flimsy explanation, but it's something to consider)

Try getting another circuit if you can, not the same one the rest of the equipment is plugged into.

6. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Maybe you have a loose connection somewhere and when you hit bassy scenes it is rattling the connections? Shot in the dark but it may be worth a look.