Sub Balance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_Philips, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Eric_Philips

Eric_Philips Extra

I just purchased a Paradigm HT system early this week:

Denon 1802
    Mini Monitors - FL FR
    cc-370 - C
    adp-170 - SL SR
    PS-1000 -SW

I'm having trouble finding the right balance for the Sub, especially when I'm listening to music. Can anyone help me 'troubleshoot/find' the settings that will keep the Sub from being too 'boomie'?

-Also, the sub has a phase control (0-180 degrees), what does that control accomplish?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

The phase control helps you adjust the sub so that the sound from it arrives at the same time as the sound from the main speakers. If bass sound arrives out of phase it can either increase or decrease the amount of bass that you hear from your listening position at certain frequencies.

The recommended approach is:

1) reverse the wires on your main speakers
    2) sit in your normal listening position
    3) have someone else adjust the phase back and forth
    4) adjust it so that you hear the LEAST amount of bass
    5) switch the polarity of your main speakers back to normal

After switching the main speakers back you'll have the maximum bass possible.

Sub placement is the most important thing to prevent a sub from sounding boomy. Every room will respond differently because of acoustics. My recommendation would be to try the sub in as many possible locations as you can within the room. Moving it as little as a foot can make a dramatic difference.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Even if you get that sub perfectly placed and calibrated there will still be some boom. The PS series from Paradigm are bandpass designs. They will never sound great with music. The design makes the sub efficient with lots of mid bass punch, but also slow and boomy. Which can be exciting for HT, especially given the CDN price, but makes for a poor music sub.

If it's not too late I'd strongly recommend taking it back and spending the extra money on the PW2200 or dropping to the PDR12 if you are in Canada. If you are in the states, along with those two options I'd even more strongly recommend a SVS 25-31PCi, an Adire Dharman, or see what Rutledge Audio or Acoustic Visions can build you for the price of the SVS or Adire.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Have you calibrated with an SPL meter? I found that when I calibrated my PS-1000, I had it way too high, which made it sound boomy at times. When I equaled everything out, It became much more balanced, even for music.

Another thing to try, turn the reciever sub out level down. Go into the negatives. (between -5 and -10). Then using your SPL meter, use the sub's volume control to get it back to reference. Running the receiver levels higher generally adds more punch to the sub, which the PS-1000 does not need. Turning the reciever sub level down should make the sub more accurate.

The PS-1000 is a good sub for the price. The bandpass design lends itself to a boomy bass, but also gives it a great punch for the price. Properly placed and calibrated, it can be a great sub, for both HT and music. It just takes a litte bit more careful planning to get it there.

Keep working with it. in time you will find that magical position.

5. Eric_Philips

Eric_Philips Extra

Just before I left for work this morning I tried turning it up to about 110 Hz and turned the volume down even more. It seemed to sound a lot better, but I've yet to try those settings w/ movies.

does 110 seem high/low? -I originally had it a lot lower (figuring it would pick up where my mains left off, I think that logic was faulty...)