Sub arrived today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Edward, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Thomas Edward

The UPS man came today. He brought me my Subwoofer. I ended up getting a JBL PB-12 from Vanns for $292.15 delivered. Good deal IMHO. Thanks to all of you I have learned so much here. All I can say is WOW!! When I bought my system a few years ago I never even thought I needed a subwoofer. This really is a great forum. From all the info I researched here, I was even able to hook it up right. Thanks!!

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Congrats Thomas! That's a pretty darn good sub! You want to know how to make it sound even better? First, with some sort of tone/hz generator and a Radio Shack SPL meter, make a graph of the sub's response. If you have a lot of dips or a lot of peaks, you need the allmighty Behringer Feedback Destroyer. With the BFD, you can tame the peaks to get the response curve a little more flat. When you lower the peaks, you will be able to turn up the gain on the sub, therefore getting a better response in the lower end.

Yeah, it probably doesn't make sense, but just click on my homepage link and you will see a graph of my sub's response before and after the BFD. Talk about a GREAT investment!

Best of luck!

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Jeffrey,

I am considering buying a very similar sub to the one that you built from Acoustic Visions. The only difference is that it uses the Shiva with the PR-15 instead of the Dayton DVC. I was wondering if you think there is an advantage to using the Dayton DVC over the Shiva, or was it just a matter of preference for you??

Also, did you find it better to be used in a down-firing configuration vs. front/side firing??